After the ball

I slip on my camo a little puffy dress and black leather heels and walk down stairs. "I'm ready dad!" I shout from the doorway.
"Hold on I want to take a picture!" He runs in holding a digital camera.
"Dad!" I groan.
"This is the first time you were a dress since you were  little I need to take a picture!" He wines. 
"Fine but only one." I give in.
"Yay! Smile and say cheese!" He commands.
I strike pose and smile. "Cheese!"
"Perfect!" He smiles at the picture.
"Great now can we go?" I ask impatiently.

As we reach the car I see two faces peer at me through the window. "Be careful Wendy!" Jackson calls out from the window.
"And don't even consider bringing home a boyfriend!" Michael shouts out next to him.
I roll my eyes. "I'm going to try and convince him tonight you know. Who knows maybe we'll become a us tonight."
"We kinda like him," Jackson says. "It's the other guys we don't." I've had a crush on a kid named Matt at my school for years now and Jackson and Michael started to like him. But the other guys at my school are jerks and like to toy with girls emotions.
"I know!" I sigh. "But you can't ruin this for me. And if you try I'll kill you both! Understand?"
They both just grin and laugh.

As we pull out of the driveway I tap on the radio. "You look adorable Wendy." Dad awws.
"Well I have to try and look like I jumped out of fairytale book." Tonight is the annual school dance. This year's theme is fairytales. So I decided to go as the classic. Cinderella. But I don't believe in fairytales and I certainly don't believe in having girls do chores or her poor life choices. So I created a anti-Cinderella a version of her that is fierce and wild.
"To me you always are a princess." He laughs.
"I know dad." I look out the window and stare straight into the darkness everyone else calls life.

*=*=*
"Welcoming," Mr. Laks our principle calls out. At all of the dances he presents us as our characters. "Wendy Darling as anti-Cinderella!"
I walk down the stairs gaining looks from everyone in the room. It's either because they've never seen me in a dress or because they don't approve of my character either way I don't give a shit.

"Hey!" Matt greets me at the stairs.
"Hi," I smile back at him. "Who are you?"
He looks down and his outfit and grins. "I'm Prince Philip from Sleeping Beauty."
"Cute," I laugh. "Wanna dance?" I hold out my hand hoping to God he'll take it.
"Sur-" he gets cut off by a smirking blonde walking towards us. Jenny Marchil. The queen bee of the school and his on and off again ex girlfriend. Of course she's dressed as Aura. Or as her more common name Sleeping Beauty.
"Hi Matt!" She smiles at him then turns into an icy glare as she looks over at me. "It's so funny how you're Prince Philip and I'm Sleeping Beauty! It's like we were made to be."
"Jenny," he looks at her with sad eyes. "I told you when we broke up. I'm done," he looks at me and smiles really bright. "For good." He takes my hand and pulls me onto the dance floor.

"You don't have to use me to prove to her that you don't wanna be with her." I say looking at my feet as we dance.
"I'm not using you," he picks up my chin and stares straight into my soul. "I wanna be with you!"
I lean in a kiss him on the lips. "Good!" I grin. "Cause I wanna be with you."

We dance for a while until it comes time to announce the King and queen of the dance.
"Attention! Attention!" Mr. Laks says. "I'd like to announce the King and Queen of this year's dance." The crowd settled down and everyone drew closer to the stage. "Drum roll please!"

Brrrum!

Brrrum!

"And the fairytale King is......" he opens the envelope. "Matt Forns!" Everyone claps and I nodge him in the arm. He walks up and collects his crown. "Congratulations Matt! And now," he turns to the crowd. "All the young ladies dream!" Not this one's! "The fairytale Queen is....." he pulls out the slip and all the girls huddle closer to the stage. "Wendy Darling!" What?!

I walk up getting looks of death from all the girls. "Congratulations Wendy!" Mr. Laks says as he puts on my crown.
"Thank you sir." I bow.

"It is my pleasure to say it is time for the annual King and Queen first dance!" Mr. Laks steps aside as Matt and I walk pass him down a ale everyone made for us to walk through. I turn to him and smile.
"You look beautiful tonight." He whispers into my ear. A blush comes to my face.
"And you look very handsome." I whisper back.
We start to dance the Waltz and not step on each other's feet. I'm not the best dancer but I sure can sing. Matt looks like he is a model of some sort as he leads the way and smiles every so perfectly. All is going perfect.

"Thank you!" Mr. Laks speaks into the microphone. "Now continue on with our evenings planned event!"

I turn back to Matt who is blushing. Damn he's cute when he blushes! "What time is it?" I ask him. I have to be home by midnight. Go figure right?
"Eleven fifty five." He checks his expensive silver watch.
"Good I have five minutes." I was about to lean in to kiss him again when I heard the most annoying sound.

SCREACH!

"Ahh!" Everybody covers their ears and looks up at the stage. There before us all are my two idiot stepbrothers!
"Wendy!" Jackson shouts. "It's time to go!"
I dig my head into Matt's chest to try and avoid the stares I'm getting. "Why do I always get bad luck?" I sigh.
"It's not bad luck," Matt says pulling me away from him. "Its evil stepbrothers! Now go before your car turns back into a pumpkin."
"Here!" I slip off one of my heels and hand it to him. "Let's make this as real as it gets!"

Then I run!

*=*=*
"I told you not to ruin my night!" I scream at them as we walk into the house. "Once in my life I was happy! And what do you do? Destroy it!"
"Woah woah woah!" John barrels into the room. "What's going on?"
"There was five minutes left until I had to go to the car and these two imbeciles came onto the stage and called me out in front of the entire school!" I want to punch them both in the face so bad it's not even funny!
"Boys!" Dad walks in. "John can you please come here."

After my dad and John talk they come back.
"Jackson, Michael you both are grounded for two months!" John stares at them like they were prey.
"But dad!" They both say.
"No buts! You ruined your sister's night and caused her embarrassment!" Dad steps in. He looks down at my feet. "Uh Wendy?"
"I'll explain later." I sigh.

"You gave him your shoe!" John laughs.
"Yea. And I had a moment!" I squeal.
"Did you ya know?" Dad asks probably hoping the answer was no.
"Yes! We kissed!" I jump up. "And I was elected the fairytale dance Queen!"
"Good for you honey!" Dad says peeking up.
"I'm gonna go upstairs so I can sleep." I kiss them each good night and run up to my room.

I slump down on my bed and take off my dress and slip on my blue jean shorts and a pastel purple tank top that says "Loner for life". I walk over to my bay window sill and sit down.
"Wish this night could happen again!" I open a small slit of the window and rest my head on the pillow I keep over there just in case I want to sleep there. "But my wishes don't come true!"

"Why ever not Love?" I look up to see a teenage boy around my age standing above me holding rope.