Episode 52: Bloodred

ابدأ من البداية

"Okay, Hachirou, I warned you," Kasai announced. "I'm coming in."

No answer.

Kasai slid open the door to an empty room.

"Hm."

If he really was somewhere else in the castle that she had just missed, he would tease her about this forever. But on the off chance that something had happened to him . . .

Everyone has secrets, huh Hachirou? So what's up with you?

His sword was gone, and so was his red coat. His bed was unmade, and a small chest on the opposite wall open and empty. A demon? No, it wouldn't have taken all of his things with him. And besides, there were enchantments on the castle to ward them off. Much as she would have liked to, she couldn't blame it on a demon.

She wandered around the room, careful not to touch anything, as if it were a delicate being.

Kasai bit her lip - but then gasped out loud.

A note.

There on the side table. On a ripped piece of paper.

She snatched it up with trembling hands. It was his handwriting alright - it was barely legible.

Kasai -

I'm sorry. I just have to leave.

Don't get the wrong idea. It's not your fault. It never was. It's mine. It's all me. Don't blame yourself for anything. You can blame it all on me.

And don't worry yourself over me either. I'm fine. Just go on living. It's better this way. Don't wonder. Just go on the way you always do. Be strong, okay?

- Hachirou

Stupid.

Stupid.

Stupid.

Kasai let out an involuntary yelp. "S-stupid!"

"Kasai?" Akuma was suddenly in the doorway.

Kasai ripped up the note and pushed past Akuma, running down the hall, and out the front door, sprinting out into the hills below. "Stupid! I'll find you, darn it!"

~~~

"Where did Kasai run off to?" Aya asked calmly, walking by with a teacup in her hand.

"I - I - I don't know," Akuma stammered. "She just - she just - left! Ran off!"

Aya pondered this. "Hm. Well, I wouldn't worry about her."

Akuma stared. "But -"

"I trust her. I trust her enough to not die. I trust her enough that she'll come back." Aya took a sip of her tea then, and smiled. "I trust her enough that she'll bring Hachirou back, too, wherever he's gone."

~~~

Kasai ran across the hills, her speed giving her an extra advantage in moving long distances. He couldn't have gone far, she silently - maybe too hopefully - thought. But she had to catch him, before he wandered too far.

Stupid. Stupid. Stupid.

Stupid of him for leaving.

Stupid of her for following.

Stupid of the world.

Stupid of everything.

~~~