☽ Almost There

Archer said there was a safe house we could go to if there was nowhere else.

As we waited for Zack to return with Noelle, I gave Archer my dad's clothes and washed the blood from his cuts. I also double-checked that he was okay to go before they came back because he looked exhausted.

But Zack returned empty-handed.

"Where's Noelle?" I asked, standing up.

Zack shrugged, "She's not coming."

"Why not?"

"She's just not, okay." He sounded defensive, like it was his fault. Maybe he said something that made her angry or something.

"No, I'm not leaving without her." I argued, unpacking the suitcase I just spent thirty minutes putting together.

Archer leaned on my bookcase, "Maddy, we're in danger. We can't stay here." He walked with great effort over to my bed until he was next to me.

"I thought you were the one who wanted to stay here." I crossed my arms.

"It's the Alpha's orders." Was all he said. I still didn't want to leave without Noelle. Why didn't she want to come?

Archer was already zipping up my suitcase when I thought of another excuse.

"Shouldn't we wait until you're healed? Are you sure you can go?" I asked Archer for the millionth time and he nodded.

"It looks worse than it is." Archer lifted up my heavy suitcase with his left hand, eventually using both hands to hold it over his head.

"What? How?" I asked. Normally, when you've been beaten up and can barely move, you can't pick something up. Especially my incredibly heavy suitcase that weighs more than fifty pounds.

"Werewolves heal extremely fast." Zack added.

"Apparently." I remarked, tying my hair back.

Zack and Archer didn't pack anything, even after I told them they could take one of my parents' suitcases. But all they wanted to carry was the clothes they were wearing.

I wrote my parents a short note that said I was staying over at a friend's house to do a project and that I wouldn't be back for a week. I'd probably return before they even realized I was gone.

I said goodbye to my house and left, wondering when I'd be back. Hopefully before graduation, which was in early June. I still had to decide which college I was going to by late June.

We took the bus so our scents would be untraceable.

We received odd looks from strangers, probably because Archer was so beaten up. But also because Archer and Zack looked. . . like that. They were drawing attention from women, with their perfect, muscular bodies and handsome faces. Some of those girls were giving me dirty looks. But I just looked away.

I'd never really noticed how handsome they were. I mean, I knew they looked better than the average man but I focused more on who they were and how they acted rather than their looks.

Like, for instance, that Zack is finally coming around and acts like he doesn't actually hate me. And that Archer wanted my help and no one else's when he was hurt. He could've gone to anyone else but he didn't.