☾I Saw Him First

When the doorbell rang, I waited a couple of minutes before getting up and opening it

When the doorbell rang, I waited a couple of minutes before getting up and opening it. If I had to bet it was probably a girl scout or someone who wanted to sell me something. Joke was on them since my parents took their wallets with them.

I opened the door, ready to politely tell them to go away, until I saw the person waiting on the porch.

"Hey, Maddy," I was very surprised to see Landon standing there, a friendly smile playing on his lips.

"Hi, Landon. Are you looking for Cassie?" Of course he was. She'd been talking about him nonstop.

"Is she here?"

"No, she's with Drake right now," I was surprised he hadn't known that since I knew they all talked to each other, "But you can wait inside until she comes back if you want."

Cassie had texted me after lunch that she was going to meet up with Drake once school was over and not to wait up for her. She gave me the car keys before heading into the English room.

"Thanks, if you don't mind," I held the door open as he walked inside, "Nice house,"

He passed by the den, looked around, and followed me into the kitchen. I continued doing what I was doing and filled a pail with tap water.

"What were you doing before I got here? Netflix?" He leaned against the island and stared at me curiously.

"Gardening." I shrugged sheepishly. Taking care of plants had been something I'd always done. I'd started when I was seven, when I planted my first seedling. It's in the backyard but still hasn't blossomed yet.

"You're an old soul, aren't you?"

I raised an eyebrow, "I'll take that as a compliment." Even if he was basically calling me old. "What about you? No bars in need of a bartender today?"

"I only bartend on the weekends or if the pack's in need of some extra funds."

"Do all wolves in the pack have jobs?" I asked.

"I'd say about half have a human job. Like I'm a bartender, Flora's a farmer, and Drake's a substitute teacher."

I started watering the sunflowers on the kitchen table and began to head upstairs to water the plants in my room when I paused.

It felt impolite to leave Landon by himself so I asked him, "Do you want a tour?"

"I'd love one."