☾Crack in the Glass

"Nothing

"Nothing." Cassie told me as she drove us home from school. "Drake just wanted to talk to me and see if I was okay."

It was weird. It was the first time Cassie and I had lunch separately. We'd been eating lunch together since elementary school. It might have been a minor thing for her and everyone else but it meant a lot to me.

"We also talked about getting me trained."

That caught my attention.

"Trained for what?" Was she talking self defense training? Was Cassie being targeted because of her connection to the werewolves? Was that why she looked so worried?

I didn't trust them.

"I don't know but he says that I'll be starting soon so I guess we'll both find out." She shrugged and turned into the driveway.

"Did he tell you why you were so important to—" I leaned in to whisper even though we were the only ones in the car, "to the werewolves?"

"Yeah, Drake told me I'm like a princess," She smiled proudly and that weird feeling coursed through me. Cassie loved fairytales and princesses, it's something she always wanted to be. So shouldn't I be happy?

I finally realized that Cassie hadn't shut off the engine. This would usually be the time when we went into the house.

"By the way, Drake wants me to come to the castle. He said Ares and Alex have something else to tell me."

"Should I go?" I asked worriedly and my fingers lingered on the seat belt buckle.

"No, you have homework to do, right? I should stop being a bad influence on you." She looked at her painted nails, not meeting my eyes.

"Okay, you can tell me everything later. Just be careful." I got out of the car and closed the door. I waved as she reversed and faded out of view.

"Where's Cassie?" Mom asked as soon as I entered the house alone.

"She's. . . hanging out with friends." I was a terrible liar but at least she believed me.

"I don't know about her. I know it's her senior year and she's entitled to having a lot of friends but her grades are poor, especially this term." Mom frowned and lines wrinkled her forehead.

If anything she was living the life that I wished I had. After all, it was my senior year, too.

"She already got into college."

"But they can still revoke her admission. That was the only one that accepted her. Oh, I forgot to ask, have you decided on where you're going?" She changed subjects and I hesitated.