☾Out of My Reach

Cassie and I glanced at each other for a split second before looking at our parents

"I thought you were coming back next week," Cassie said casually without even an iota of nervousness in her voice.

"We thought we'd surprise you," Dad shrugged.

Mom hugged Cassie first and then me.

"Surprise!" Mom added joyfully. "So how was your party, Cassandra?" Cassie didn't say anything for a few seconds, like she forgot her own party. But I knew that she didn't want to remember the day we were kidnapped by crazy werewolves.

"Good," Cassie managed to squeeze out.

"What did you get for presents?" Mom asked while she closed her phone.

"You know, the usual, clothes, shoes, jewelry, makeup,"

"Did you dance with any boys?"

Cassie smiled, "Yeah, a few,"

"And what kind of alcohol did you drink?"

"Tequila—" Cassie quickly covered her mouth but it was too late, "I mean, the adults had tequila, I had water."

"You can lie better than that," Mom put her hands on her hips. Not a good sign.

"I'm not lying, I—"

"Maybe you shouldn't post everything online where your parents can see." Dad interrupted and I waited for them to start yelling.

My parents had good self control for the first few minutes of any argument. They would interrogate us and get all the facts while keeping their voices level, then they would explode out of nowhere.

It only made Cassie and I even more terrified.

"I just had a little sip." They both snorted. Mom opened her phone and showed us a picture of Cassie downing a handle of tequila. I frowned, not remembering that part of the night.

"Does this look like a 'little sip'?" Mom demanded.

"I'm eighteen, everyone else my age was drinking—"

"That doesn't mean you can!" Dad was yelling now, his face red with rage, "When will you learn that your actions have consequences? You can't leave this online, the police will arrest you and your future will be ruined! Is that what you want?"

"No." Cassie said weakly but I knew she had already given up a while ago.

"And you," Dad looked at me, "You aren't off the hook either. You're supposed to take care of your sister!"