☾Only Human

"Werewolves?" Cassie deadpanned. "You've got to be fucking kidding me."

"I assure you, we are not kidding." Drake's tone was icy.

I quietly picked at my silver dress while she burst out laughing.

"Right." She rolled her eyes. "Well, I think there's something seriously wrong with you people. You all need professional help."

Drake was not amused.

"Humans." Drake retorted.

"Dogs." Cassie snapped back and I caught a small smile on Conrad's face. "For the record, I don't believe a word you're spitting from your mouths." She added.

"Then I guess we'll just have to show you." Drake flashed a devilish grin to his friends.

And before either of us could process what he meant, his irises turned a bright yellow color and he fell to the floor.

It happened so fast that my eyes blurred. A snap that sounded like a thunderstorm echoed in the room. Long canines extended from his mouth. Bones cracked and his skin was replaced by fur. His clothes were destroyed.

I blinked and Drake was gone.

A huge wolf coated in the darkest brown stood in his place.

Cassie screamed.

I couldn't understand what I'd just witnessed. I didn't know why but I just couldn't.

My head was dizzy and my eyes shifted out of focus. I didn't feel too good. Nausea hit my stomach and I could feel my airway tightening.

"Where's the bathroom?" Cassie knew as soon as she saw my face but her voice sounded like she was in a tunnel.

"Around the corner, to your left—"

"Thank you," We didn't stop.

I stumbled into the bathroom and threw up as soon as my face found the toilet. My sister held my hair back as I coughed up what I had for dinner.

When I was done, I wiped my mouth with a paper towel that Cassie handed me. My throat burned.

"You okay?"

I nodded and took a look in the bathroom mirror.

My straight black hair was a frizzy web, a terrible case of bedhead, and my makeup had all been sweated off. My cheeks were flushed and my skin looked blotchy.

"I want to go home." I finally said and she gave me a small, sad smile.

"I wish Mom and Dad were here," Cassie looked at her nails, "Then we wouldn't be in this mess."

I felt the blood rush back to my face.

"This has to be some sort of joke or a dream or something. Anything." Cassie's voice increased in octaves as she grew more desperate.

I didn't want to believe in another world but my eyes couldn't reject what we saw. I saw a man change into a wolf right before my eyes and somehow I knew that it wasn't fake.