☾Back to Normal

When school started back up again on Monday, Cassie and I had almost completely forgotten what had happened during the weekend

Almost.

We never talked about it because we feared that if we did, then it would make everything far more real. I didn't want to think about what secrets were hiding out there in the world. I had to go back to school, study hard, and think about my future.

And the second that I opened the school's doors and heard the shrill sound of the morning bell, everything was back to normal.

I followed Cassie to our lockers, which were side by side, and began to unlock mine.

"Killer party, Cassie!" Some random senior yelled down the hallway.

"The queen of partying reclaims her throne!" Another random person hollered. It felt like a year had passed since then.

"What class do you have?" She had asked me that about a hundred times and still forgot.

"Bio and you have history." I reminded her and she pouted her lips, looking at her nails.

"Wanna skip for today?"

"There's a huge project coming up and I don't want to miss it."

"Fine, I'm going to guidance." She used to say she was going to the nurse but I think Nurse Thomson got tired of her.

The late bell rang and I sprinted to my class which was all the way on the other side of the building.

"Thank you for finally joining us, Ms. Aster," Mr. Henderson said sarcastically and the class snickered as I ran in late.

I found my seat in the one of the lab tables in the very back. I didn't have any friends in bio so I worked alone.

Everyone had their notebooks out so I took mine out, too, but only to draw in while I zoned out whatever Mr. Henderson was lecturing on about.

"Today, we'll start by—" he stopped talking and I heard the classroom door open. I didn't look up from my notebook as the flash of a crescent moon burned into my vision. The last dream I had was so intense that I woke up with tears in my eyes, "Oh, we have new students. . ."

It was frustrating not being able to recall my dreams. They always woke me from my deep sleep yet the moment I opened my eyes, my memory lapsed.

I was barely listening when I heard a familiar voice. I picked my head up and dropped my pencil on the floor when I saw them.

"I'd usually tell you guys to introduce yourselves but we have a lot of material to cover today, so take your seats wherever, I don't care," Mr. Henderson waved his hand dismissively.