☽ Against the World

Once upon a time, Cassie and I were best friends. It was us against our parents, us against society, us against the world. We didn't fight each other, we fought together. We were on the same side.

But it felt more like me against the world, especially now that I was singled out.

"Maddy, I think it's long overdue for your induction." Landon was saying with his mate Penny by his side. Once I got to know her, she wasn't that bad. She was nice but the only thing I didn't like about her was how passive she was. She literally did anything Landon wanted to do.

"Induction?" But I was already apart of another pack, it would feel wrong.

"I agree, we should have one soon," Penny echoed.

"You know, when the pack welcomes a new wolf, or in your case, Moon Goddess."

"What happens if you're part of another pack? You know, theoretically?" I added in case he thought I'd been inducted into the rogue pack.

"That's fine, I guess," Landon shrugged, "So, is that cool?"

"I guess-"

"Great! I'll tell the Alpha and Luna!" Landon said cheerfully, Penny tagging along after him.

"Lost?" I turned around and saw Zack walking over to me. I tried to stay guarded, not fully trusting him yet.

"No, I was just heading home," I'd been called to the castle because Landon wanted to introduce me to his new mate.

He nodded and walked beside me, not saying anything. I still got the feeling that he hated me even if he said otherwise. Archer was telling people to be nice to me but I didn't like that. I didn't like how they changed because they were yelled at to.

"Zackary!" An middle-aged woman with streaks of silver in her brown hair waved to us.

"Mom," Zack replied and we both stopped in the hall.

"Good evening," Zack's mom looked at me with awe in her eyes, "Are you Maddy? I just want to tell you how grateful I am to meet you." Instead of shaking my hand, she bowed graciously, making my cheeks burn. I wasn't expecting her to look at me like I was some goddess- oh.

"It's nice to meet you, too,"

"It's a miracle," She gushed, "To have the Moon Goddess as a part of our pack." From the corner of my eye, I saw Zack roll his eyes.

"Come on, Mom, you're being a little dramatic." He acted so differently from his mom, I wondered where he got his manners (or lack thereof) from.

"I'm so happy we've found you, dear," Zack's mom cried loudly, "Are you going to be inducted anytime soon?"

"They are thinking about tomorrow."

"And what about the evaluation?"

"The evaluation? What's that?" Were they going to put me on stage and score me out of ten?

"No, she isn't." Zack told his mom, who nodded silently. It looked like they were having a silent conversation judging from the way they were looking at each other, I looked from him to her back to him.

What weren't they telling me?

"I have to go prepare for the induction then! Stay out of trouble, Zack, and it was very nice to meet you, Maddy," Zack's mom bowed again and smiled warmly before leaving.