01 | psychiatrist

01 | psychiatrist

(n) the branch of medicine devoted to the diagnosis, prevention, study, and treatment of mental disorders

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

                    Mr. Fox briefed us on the security cautions and told us the rules and regulations we were required to follow. He was strict and there was no mercy in his tone and it made me shiver at the intensity of his deep and raspy voice. He explained the treatments that were given to patients who misbehaved and it was purely horrible.

He also mentioned that we were not allowed to talk about the patients outside of the Asylum and that everything is confidential.

After about twenty minutes of the boring lecture, he asked us to go towards a board and look at all the patients available. We could choose our own patient and I felt excited at the thought of that. I quickly started walking towards the board to pick a patient, an easy one probably, since its going to be my first time.

"Dr. Harleen Quinzel?" Mr. Fox called and I stiffened, stopped walking half-way towards the board. I sighed and started walking away from the board and towards him.

Why is he calling me? What did I do? Did I do something wrong? Why me?

I stopped in front of him and he gave me a stern look. I blinked and adjusted my glasses which were starting to slide down my nose. "We saw your resume and please be greatful that you get to work here. I was reluctant to choose you but if not for the lack of female psychiatrists here, I wouldn't have hired you. You would not be standing here. All the other psychiatrists present here are more qualified and experienced and you were picked last. You seem timid and if you are going to meet these patients, you have to be more braver than this." Mr. Fox said harshly and I felt my body go rigid at what he said. I could feel a little sting in my heart and I tried to push it away.

What he said, hurt a lot.

"I am brave. And, I will definitely do well." I said, my confidence emerged whenever I was angry and I turned around, walking away. I am going to prove this bastard of a boss that I can do better than anyone here. I could feel him staring at my back as I walk towards the board. A new found determination filled me and I gritted my teeth with anger.

I noticed that there was only two posters hanging there and all the others were taken already.

Mr. Fox got me late and now I only have two choices.

I looked closely at the poster in the corner and saw a lady. She had green skin. Bright red hair and her name was Poison Ivy. Her details were pretty amazing and she claims that she can control mother nature.

I was going grab down the poster when I stopped myself. Maybe I should check the other one too. I looked at the other poster and saw a face that made my breath stop. It was pale with white skin. Its eyes were hollow and black. I couldn't even see his eyes. They were like two black holes in his unhumanly pale face. His lips were red and he had a frown on his face, narrowing his eyes. He looked scary and I glanced below to look at the details.

Name: Joker

Original name: Unknown

Parents: Unknown

Hates: Batman

Origin: Unknown

Character: Cunning and clever. Very good at manipulating people. A compelling liar.

Wow. He was a tough case to crack. I felt the adrenaline and anger pulsing through my veins and I turned around to see Mr. Fox looking closely at me. I wanted to so badly prove this guy that I can do much better than the others and I have so much more potential than them. I pulled down the poster with the Joker and I heard everyone start whispering and gasping at what I just did.

When I am angry, I do crazy things.

"I feel sorry for her already."

"She might die. Look at her."

"Is she thinking clearly?"

I heard all these sentences behind me and Mr. Fox gave me a small smirk before walking away. I breathed out a loud sigh and looked at the poster in my hands.

What's done is done.

I can do nothing about it and I grabbed the poster firmly in my hands and walked out of the room towards my assigned office and sat down on the rolling chair. The walls were white and I tried to relax as I took in all the things that has happened in the past hour. My nerves were calming down immediately.

Time to do some research.

I opened the laptop on the table and took out my clipboard and pen. Taking down my notes, I looked for more information on the Joker and could find none other than rumours.

I wrote questions down and I glanced at the clock to see that it was 4pm already. I had missed lunch and I was starving.

Knock.

"Come in." I said and Ms. Roberts came in, placing a cup of starbucks coffee on my wooden table. I gave her a thankful smile.

"Be careful." She said, pointing at the poster of Joker on my table.

"Is he that scary?" I asked. "Have you seen him?"

"I have seen him." She replied. "He has this way with words and it really gets to you. Word of advice: don't believe anything he says." She added and I raised my eyebrows in intrigue.

Of course. I am not that stupid.

"Now. Eat. Your introduction session is starting in half an hour. You will have a 30 minute session with him today, for just meet and greet and from tomorrow, you will have two hour sessions with him." She said and I nodded, butterflies filling my stomach at the thought of meeting the most dangerous man on earth.

She started walking away.

"Thank you." I said and she turned around, giving me a small smile. After she was gone, I gulped down the coffee and felt energetic immediately. Talking my clipboard, the map and pen in my hands, I walked out and followed the directions the map showed.

His cell was in Block D.

I got to block D and it was a five-minute walk from here. I entered the block and I could feel shivers down my spine. There were metal doors on either side of me and I knew immediately that each door held a patient behind.

There was a small slot on each door to see the person inside and I could hear voices from the slots. There were whispers and some of them were calling me, trying to reach their hands out. I ignored them and told myself to be confident although inside my nerves were having a dance.

After walking a few more metres, at the end of the hallway was a single door. It was much bigger than the others and it was the only door in the Asylum that had two guards in front of it.

The guards looked at me curiously as I walked towards them. I signalled them to open the door after showing my card and they did.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

Hey everyone!

How is this chapter?

Joker will be in next chapter.

Comment, vote and share.