Legacy's safety

~707's POV~

"Zero Seven

"Zero Seven."

I hear agent Vanderwood calling my attention, but it was currently occupied by another matter at the moment so I pretended not to hear him. A growl of annoyance reaches my ears and he yelled loudly to get me to listen to him.

"Hey!"

I felt myself wince from the loud volume of his voice. He sounds really irritated with me now.

"What happened to your promise? You said that you would do your work after you've finished whatever it was you were doing." He sighed in disapproval upon seeing the screen. "What's got your attention this time? It's about your RFA group again? God... How many times do I have to repeat myself?"

My eyes were still glued to the CCTV feed outside the hallway of Rika's apartment and the center computer where I'm using to try and track the one who hacked the app. I couldn't help but feel anxious over Legacy's safety. If the hacker managed to hack into the app again, then he must seriously be after something in RFA.

And what about those creepy emails that Jaehee and Zen were talking about in the chat before? This sender called Mint Eye... I wonder if they were the hacker that's been attacking us recently.

"Hey, are you listening to me?" Vanderwood called my attention again. I looked up at him from where I was sitting on the chair.

"No." I said with a serious expression.

"No? Are you playing with me right now!?" He gritted his teeth and glared. "You haven't done a fraction of work you were supposed to be doing! You've been tracking that hacker the entire time and watching that CCTV feed of that apartment! Our lives come first, remember? How will you protect your RFA if you're dead? Do your work, or else what am I going to tell the boss?!"

"No!" I answered back with a smile to lighten the mood. "Come on, Miss Vanderwood, just call the boss and stall some time~ I can't work when I have too many things to do at once~"

"Then finish your work for the agency first so that you can do the rest later!" He scolded.

I closed my eyes and hummed in thought, tapping the mouse with my thumb in a rhythm. Vanderwood kept silent while he waited for me to do something. When I opened my eyes again, I sighed and stared at the computer screen with a frown.

"Miss Vanderwood," I began.

"Quit joking around. I have a taser in my bag, you know." He threatened.

"Agent Vanderwood." I said. This got his attention and he listened. "I can't explain it. But I feel like something bad is gonna happen to Legacy if I don't catch that hacker soon. So please stall some more time while I finish this. I promise I'll do my work then."

Vanderwood shook his head and crossed his arms. He looked at the computer screen where I was staring.

"We are in no position to choose our clients but you should have asked for an extension when you got the job three months ago. It's too late now." He said. "If you're that anxious about that girl I see you keep watching coming out of that apartment then I'll help you with this one thing. I'll watch over the CCTV feed and tell you if something's wrong. Meanwhile you finish your work, alright?"

"...I still have to track down the hacker." I murmured under my breath.

Vanderwood clicked his tongue in annoyance, "Agent 707, there's no point in tracking down that hacker if you don't finish your agency work. You'll be useless if you're dead."

"That's true," I thought to myself. "But we're just characters in a game. We can't really die. If we do then it's only temporary. May be painful though."

I agreed to his proposal and allowed him to take over watching the CCTV feed. Vanderwood announced that we would take a quick break and decided to make some coffee so that we could concentrate. But my worries still won't go away.

Glancing at the CCTV briefly, I caught sight of Legacy leaving the apartment while using her phone. I felt myself smile when I heard my phone go off and I picked it up to see her calling me.

Legacy was standing out in the middle of the hallway with her phone pressed against her ear. She was staring straight at the camera.

"Good that you called me, soldier! Now you have to answer these questions truthfully. Where are you now?" I asked. Legacy giggled.

"I am on my way to buy breakfast, sir!" She said, saluting. I had to hold back my laughter.

"Okay, very good. Next question! How are you today? Respond within 5 seconds!" I said, holding up 5 fingers even though she couldn't see me.

"I am doing fine, captain!" She answered again, giving a thumbs up and sticking her tongue out to the side.

She looked so cute that I couldn't contain my laughter, so I ended up letting it out and she laughed along with me.

"Hahaha!! Okay, joke's over. Time to get serious. Are you going to be out for a while? I can see you in the middle of the hallway." I told her. She nodded and waved at the camera, smiling.

"I know, that's why I'm here. Just going to the store. It's nearby so I won't be too long." She said. "How's the hacker thing? Did you read the chats?"

"Ughh... That damn hacker has been giving me a lot of work. And now they're sending email messages, right?" I sighed and slumped back on my chair. "Vanderwood is really mad now because I've been slacking off my agency work. She's keeping a close eye on me now."

"What kind of maid do you even have? She sounds fierce." She laughed. "Anyway, I'll get going now. Hope you do well with work. Thanks for making me laugh, Seven!"

I smiled, "Hold on."

She paused and tilted her head at the camera as if she's asking 'What?'

"I was being serious about what I said before, Legacy. Will you at least please think about it?" I asked her sincerely.

Legacy stared at the CCTV for a moment, before blushing a bit and nodding.

"Yeah... Sure. I mean, everyone's been pushing me to accept you, but... I still don't know if you're serious. You sounded really sincere just now though.." She looked away and I could see that she was starting to get flustered. "U-Uhm, I'll get going for real this time. Seeyouinthemessengerbye!"

I grinned, watching her run away embarrassed. I didn't even realize that Vanderwood was standing right beside me.

"You don't have feelings for her or anything, right?" He asked seriously. "We're in no position to have personal lives. I hope you haven't forgotten about that, Agent 707."

The smile on my face faltered as soon as I was reminded of those words. Secret agents can't fall in love and have personal relationships. If I try to get closer to Legacy, she would only be put in more danger.

~End of POV~