"Thank you (Y/n), how's your family?" You chuckled.

Welp, I'm gonna have to tell her someday

Toriel was the one person that you would consider your mother figure and one who you could rely on for advice. As Toriel gives you the correct amount of Gold to pay for the Nice Cream, you glance down at the register. 

"Well, uh, my mom got arrested" Toriel stopped and looked almost fearful.

"What?!" You grin as you're looking down. Frisk taps on the counter-top and begins to sign something.

  'Are your siblings okay?'

  your grin widens into a smile.

"Yes Frisk they're fine, I was the one who called the cops" Toriel seemed to get over the shock.

"My goodness (Y/n). Though I remember telling you before she, I beg your pardon, deserved to be jailed?" You smiled sheepishly and looked down at the counter, which you were leaning on. 

"Yeah, you did, and I should've called the cops before it got out of hand, I'm sorry I didn't listen" You smiled grimly, thinking your brothers wouldn't have the light scars they now have on their arms if you had acted sooner.

  "It is alright (Y/n), you did what you thought was right" You look up at Toriel and find her giving you a kind smile, you smile back.

"Thanks, Toriel," as soon as you say that however, the bell started to ring violently as if someone had charged through the doors, and indeed as you looked at the door.

 A big burly man, with a black top with no sleeves, a pair of ripped jeans, and combat boots bursts in. As soon as you caught his eye, he growled and started to run forwards.

You instinctively tensed and your Fight or Flight instincts kicked in, you felt everything slow down. Your protective instincts kicked in as well, making you grab Frisk by the collar, yoink her over the counter and place her behind you. 

 Then you jumped over the counter and ran directly to the man, once you were close enough you didn't give enough time to react and punched him in the gut.

 Rolling away, you ended up with you standing while the man doubles over and grunts at the pain, you walked over to him, as he was obviously drunk.

  So you reacted accordingly. Grabbing him by the ear, you pulled him back to the door. 

"Go back to the pub you came from mister" You then shoved the doors open with your foot and pushed him out, making him fall over.

When he gets up again he takes one glance at you and starts to run back the direction he came from. Brushing your hands together you turn around and see Toriel with a dumbfounded expression.

"(Y/n), can you tell me what just happened?" You blinked. The adrenaline slowly left you and suddenly aware of what you did you grabbed your elbow and smiled sheepishly darting your eyes to the floor.

"Well, uh, humans have this instinct called 'Fight or Flight' it happens when a human feels protective or scared-" You perked up, remembering something  "I'm sorry if I scared you, Frisk"

  Frisk popped up from over the counter and beamed.

  'It's alright (Y/n)!' You smiled and looked towards Toriel. 

"So, this 'fight or flight' thing comes when you feel protective?" You nodded heading back to your spot. Frisk skipped back over to her Mom-ster.

 "Does that happen often?" You smiled sadly.

"Well, yes, when my siblings and I went to public school, we openly said we didn't hate monsters, and so, well, you can imagine bullies at every turn,"

 Toriel nodded a thoughtful expression on her face, you returned to your spot behind the register.

"I am sorry you had to go through that (Y/n)," You smiled.

"Don't be, we aren't in that place anymore, I like to think of it as a learning experience," Toriel nodded.

"Well, I think it's time to go, come along Frisk, farewell (Y/n)!" You waved goodbye as Frisk signed:

'See ya next time!' 

After they left NCG came back. 

"Welcome back NCG! Did your business go well?" NGC smiled. 

"Yes, it did! I see you are handling things well," You smiled back and after a couple of more hours, you collected your things and bid NCG goodbye.

You started walking to your apartment for a lunch break, as you were walking, however...

You were thrown into a dark alleyway...

~~~

Words: 1314