Chapter 29

Natsu and Mavis had completed their long journey on the train and their long walk to Croaten. Natsu looked all around the surrounding area. Houses were very spread out all around them.

Where they were heading was a small hub spot. From the information Natsu was given the hub acted as the place for traders to come in and sell their wares to the residents.

"This place looks amazing, huh?" Natsu asked. When he got no answer he looked to his side. Mavis had once again vanished. He sighed in annoyance. "I'm starting to get real fed up with her little disappearing act..." He groaned.

Natsu continued on the path alone and entered the small hub. There were very few people outside so the people he could ask about the job was limited.

He made eye contact with a man that seemed to be in is forties. He had very full beard and wore what looked like a blacksmiths outfit.

When Natsu got closer to him he could smell charcoal on the man. The man finally noticed that Natsu was coming his way so he turned his attention towards him.

"Yo." Natsu said throwing his hand up.

"Hello." The man said back. Natsu sifted around in his back pocket and pulled out the job request.

"You wouldn't happen to know where this man lives do you?" Natsu asked, showing the man the slip of paper. The man looked the paper over as he stroked his beard.

Natsu lowered the piece of paper back into his pocket. "So, you know him?" He asked. The man smiled and let out a hardy laugh. "If you're looking for Wilhelm then you must look no further!" He said with his arms stretched out.

Natsu tilted his head. "Say what?" The man brought his arm up and gave a thumbs up. "That's right my boy! I'm Wilhelm!" He said with another laugh.

Natsu furrowed his eyebrows. "You're serious right? I mean, you don't look like the kind of guy to write..." He took another look at the request. "This..."

Wilhelm waged his finger. "Rule number one, don't judge a book by its cover." He said smiling.

Natsu scratched his head. 'I don't get it... This guy seems like he can handle himself. Why does he need my help?' Natsu thought to himself.

"Daddy!" Both Natsu and Wilhelm looked to see a little girl running their way. She didn't look a day over six. Her hair was jet black and it reached down to her lower back.

Natsu quickly realized why he needed protecting. 'He wasn't worried for his own safety.'

Wilhelm knelt down and picked up his daughter.

'He was worried for his daughter's...' Natsu's eyes softened and he walked over to Wilhelm and his daughter. "Alright then, I'll protect you two with my life." Natsu said proudly.

Wilhelm and his daughter exchanged looks. His daughter reached out to Natsu. "Thank you mister!" She said happily. Natsu gave a smile and rubbed her head.

"So... You work as a blacksmith?" Natsu asked. Wilhelm put a finger to his own lips. He began to walk away. He motioned for Natsu to follow.

"First, let's get back to my home." He said to Natsu. Natsu followed Wilhelm through the small hub until they were standing on the the outskirts.

Natsu looked up in awe at the house that was sitting at the top of the hill. It was very big and glamorous. Not something he would expect from who he assumed to be a blacksmith.

"Are you just going to come on or are you just going to stare?" Wilhelm said, breaking Natsu out of trance.

"S- Sorry about that." Natsu said, continuing to walk after Wilhelm. "Don't worry about it, Natsu" Wilhelm seemed to drag out Natsu's name.