Chapter 12

~ At the guild ~

Gray sat at the bar, grieving over the loss of his guildmates, especially Lucy. His grieving had turned him to drinking his sorrows away the best he could.

He knew something didn't seem right with the way things had been progressing. He looked down at his bottle of liquor and sighed.

'It all seems too convenient...' He played all the events in his head. 'First... Lisanna... She went to Natsu's and never came back... Could he have...' He shook his head. 'No, the killer must have gotten her on her way back home, Natsu would never hurt her.'

He leaned back in his chair and took another drink. 'Then there's Lucy...' His grip tightening on his bottle as he thought about her death. 'She was dead when the guild found her from what I heard and Mirajane had a weapon that matched the pierced parts of Lucy's body... But something doesn't sit right about that.'

He sifted through his mind for anything. 'And then finally... Elfman... I don't know if murder was involved with him... After one of his sister's being killed and then his second one being sent to jail for murder it does make sense why he would commit suicide... But even still... I just don't know.'

Gray turned his head and panned around the guild for someone who might know more. His eyes landed on Cana who was oddly enough, not drinking.

Gray rose from his seat and made his way over to her. "Oi, Cana. Can I talk to you?" He asked.

The brunette looked over at him and nodded slowly. Her gaze moving back to the table. He took his seat across from her and laid his arms on the table.

"Okay... So I need you to tell me what has been happening these past few days, any leads on who the murderer could be." He said in a serious tone.

Cana sighed and her hair covered her eyes. "Gray, we have no leads whatsoever... We were powerless to stop whoever killed Lisanna... And we already know that Mirajane killed Lucy, so there's nothing we can do about it."

Gray banged his hand on the table, startling everyone in the guild. "No! I know that everything that happened isn't pure coincidence. What about Erza? She must be out there looking for the person who did this right?"

Cana looked up at Gray and shook her head. "No, she's been rather tame as of late. Which is surprising since she was almost killed by Mira."

"She was..." Gray said slowly.

"Yeah, you didn't know that? We found her in the same room as Lucy's body along with Mirajane about to kill her."

Gray leaned over the table and got into Cana's face. "Doesn't that raise any suspicion to you?"

Cana once again shook her head and an angry look took over her face. "Gray, what are you saying?"

"I'm saying that Erza may not be completely innoce-"

"That's enough Gray!" Makarov said as he made his trek over to the table that Gray was residing.

Gray snapped his head towards Makarov and his expression softened slightly but the look in his eyes didn't change.

"I am appalled that you would even consider Erza to be a suspect." Makarov said while raising his eyebrow at him.

"Master if you will just listen to me then maybe it won't seem so far fetched." Gray said, motioning over to the man to his right.

"This isn't up for discussion, Gray. Erza is not a murderer, you of all people should know that."

Gray istantly rose from his seat and and his face was livid. "Master! Do you not hear yourself right now?! Even if it's a 0.1% chance that she killed these people then don't you think we should investigate?"