Fireproof

RJ didn't come back to their unit for five whole hours. He drove around, went to a music bar to listen to some bands and then drove around some more. He needed it to clear his head, and he needed to be away from Dei for a few hours. He was so hurt and so angry; the feeling of betrayal slicing deep into his chest every time he thought about what Dei did. He couldn't believe that they were having this kind of problem only less than three months into their marriage.

He tried avoiding going to Times Square the whole time he was out, but an hour before he drove home, his aimless driving still brought him there.

He parked his car and sat there for a while, just watching the people and looking at the billboards. He sighed when his eyes caught sight of the exact spot where he proposed to Dei, and he allowed himself to remember the moment he asked her to marry him.

He was already sure then that he wanted a family with Dei, but she... she had always been uncertain. From the wedding, and now this. He shook his head after a few minutes, still unable to get over the pain.

He pulled out his phone to look at the time and saw 3 voicemails. The radio in his car was too loud when he was driving earlier so he didn't hear the calls, but he probably would've ignored them anyway even if he heard.

He heaved a huge sigh and clicked on them. Of course... they were all from Dei. He clicked on the first one and started listening.

10:05 PM
RJ, where are you? Please come back and let's talk about this. I will wait for you.

11:50 PM
It's been almost three hours, RJ. I'm really worried. Where are you? At least call me back, or simply text. Just let me know you're safe.

12:15 AM
RJ... Please...

He leaned against his seat and closed his eyes after the last voice message. After 15 minutes, he decided to go home.

He saw Dei lying on the sofa as soon as he got inside. She was asleep, curled up on her side, with her left arm dangling on the edge. He walked closer to the sofa and slowly sat on the floor beside it, careful not to make any sounds. Then he watched her.

She had tear stains on her cheeks and her nose was red from too much crying. He bit his lip and kept himself from reaching out to touch her face... but he watched her.

After a few minutes, he turned away, leaned against the sofa and pressed his forehead on both his hands. "Dei," he called, not looking at her.

She stirred at once and sat up when she saw him. "RJ... where have you been?"

"Around," he answered shortly. "Please go inside the bedroom now... You can't sleep here. You'll wake up cold in the morning if you stay here."

"Are you still mad?" she asked carefully, staring at the back of his head and feeling hurt that he won't even look at her.

"Yes."

There was a pause for a few moments.

"Do you still love me?" Dei finally asked.

"You know the answer to that, Dei," RJ replied, massaging his temples.

"I wanna hear it," she said. She got off the couch and sat on the floor next to him.

"Don't be unfair," RJ muttered. He leaned back on the sofa and laid his head on it as he stared at the ceiling. Dei noticed the tear that dropped from the side of his eye.