Roommate [non-x reader]

I've gotten requests on my blog for one shots that aren't reader inserts, this is one of them. I'll be posting them here, and they will all be marked with 'non-x reader'. Just so everyone is aware, I don't think that I'll be doing any character x character requests, so please keep that in mind if you send anything in.

I don't have much confidence in my writing for other characters. So you're free to give me feedback if Dazai sounds off in this. Originally I never planned to write for the other characters.

Tumblr anon request: "AU in which Dostoevsky and Dazai are college professors who live together and Dazai tries to make Eastern European food for Dostoevsky's birthday"

Background: Both of them are at the college to research and teach in their specific fields. All of the professors who don't live nearby are offered shared living space by the college, and that's why Dazai and Fyodor are there. I imagine they'd live in some kind of double apartment with a shared kitchen and living room, and two single rooms with their own bathrooms. Personally I can see Fyodor as a philosophy professor and Dazai as a literature professor. I have other ideas of what they might teach though. Also I used diminutives in this bc I thought it would be nice.

Food Dictionary:

Borscht: A sour and red Ukranian soup. It's main ingredient is beetroot.

Varenyky: (Russian version of Polish Pierogi) Potato filled dumplings. Usually include other ingredients like cheese and mushrooms.

Golubtsy: aka Cabbage rolls. Rice, beef, and pork stuffed inside of cabbage leaves and drizzled with tomato sauce.

-

Fyodor walked briskly through the school hallway, a cup of black coffee in one hand and his book bag in another. He was going to be late again, on account of his insomnia, as he hadn't been able to fall asleep until 5 am. Not that his students cared, it happened fairly often.

He felt like his body was made of lead, but he supposed he felt like that most days. Today was supposed to be a "special day", but days like today didn't feel all that special to him.

From the moment he entered the lecture hall, the day began to exceed his expectations. He was greeted with a loud "Happy Birthday Professor!" from his students.

He stared at them for a few seconds in surprise. "Um, thank you." he mumbled, still slightly taken aback.

As Fyodor unpacked his book bag he discovered what had prompted their outburst. A note written in messy handwriting had been moved from the door to his desk. The note read: "Today is professor Dostoevsky's Birthday! Please wish him a good one!" He realized at once that the culprit had been his roommate, Dazai Osamu.

Fyodor smiled slightly to himself, though he was a little embarrassed, he was glad to know that his students cared enough to follow through with Dazai's request.

-

Fyodor knew that Dazai probably had more in store for him, considering that it was Dazai. Exactly as expected, his second class had also wished him a happy Birthday.

He was now returning from his office, at his usual late hour of 8 pm, as it was sometimes too difficult to work with Dazai around. Dazai's extroverted tendencies were partially to blame. Though, Fyodor preferred working in solitude and silence regardlessly, and there wasn't much space in his room for working.

When Fyodor got through the door he was surprised to be greeted by the smell of home-cooked food. The air smelt strongly of potatoes and tomato sauce, reminding him of what he used to smell around dinner time as a child.

It was strange, because the two of them barely ever cooked anything substantial. Dazai had insisted that he wasn't much of a cook, probably to get away with barely making anything. Fyodor, on the other hand, got so caught up in his work that he constantly forgot to eat.

After stepping into the living room and depositing his bag on the couch, Fyodor entered the kitchen to see what Dazai was up to. The wavy-haired man was standing over the stove, supposedly boiling something. He turned around and practically sang, "Happy Birthday Fyedya! Did anyone else give you birthday wishes today?"

"I told you, it's better if you just call me Fyodor." Fyodor replied.

"We're friends though, aren't we?" Dazai asked, "I don't know why you don't just let me call you that."

"We are friends I suppose, but you're the only one in this country who calls me that. It makes us sound closer."

"But aren't we closer? We do live together, after all."

Fyodor thought about it for a second, "maybe," he responded simply. "What are you doing anyway?"

"I decided that I'd try to surprise you with a taste of home! Since you couldn't go back to Russia for your birthday." Dazai exclaimed. "Have you talked to your family yet?"

"Yes, I talked with my siblings last night over video chat." Fyodor smiled, "I wish I could've seen them in person though."

"Of course, of course." Dazai had already turned back to the stove.

"What are you making?" Fyodor asked him.

"What?? You couldn't recognize it by smell alone?" Dazai practically whined.

"Well, it certainly smells like something." Fyodor teased.

"Aw Fyedya, that's cruel. I've been working my butt off here." exaggerated Dazai.

"You should go back into the living room for now," Dazai suddenly began again, "dinner's almost ready, but I'd like to make everything presentable first."

-

It took Dazai about 10 minutes to get everything ready. He called Fyodor back into the kitchen with a smile on his face.

On the table there sat a platter of varenyky, another platter with golubtsy, and a serving bowl filled with bright red borscht.

"That's quite a lot of food." Fyodor stated, "How are we supposed to eat all of it?"

"That's easy. We'll have leftovers for weeks, and no one will have to make anything for a while." Dazai exclaimed.

Fyodor sighed. "Sure, I guess."

The two of them sat down and began to serve themselves. Fyodor found that Dazai had done a pretty good job with the food. He had never really had such a close friend, so he was surprised that Dazai had gone to all this effort for him.

After about ten minutes, Dazai asked "so, did I do a good job?"

"Yes, surprisingly." Fyodor replied. "Thank you."

"It wasn't too much trouble. I just wanted you to have a good birthday." Dazai began, suddenly smirking "Oh, and another thing. Now you owe me one."

Fyodor narrowed his eyes and frowned at the man opposite him. He should have known.