Memento [non-x reader]

Two anons on Tumblr asked me about how I think Fyodor got his hat. One requested a scenario, so here it is. It's partially based off of some headcanons about Fyodor's family I posted on my blog.

-

When his father died, the house no longer felt the same. Fyodor was much younger then, but it still registered with him that the way he reacted differed from the norm.

He did not grieve the way his siblings did, nor did he cry as much as they did. Instead of crying, he simply experienced a numb feeling in his chest.

He felt as if he had to remember his father in some way. He felt that if he didn't do what his father expected of him, then he would not be honouring his father's time on Earth.

His father's clothes and possessions still hung around the house as a reminder. A reminder that his father had lived. Fyodor found comfort in that, just as he did in prayer.

-

Years later, when Fyodor was leaving for University, it was as if he was leaving both of his parents behind. The influence the two of them had during life was only reflected in the minds and things they had touched. One of such things was the house that Fyodor was about to leave. It was a place containing many items that belonged to no living thing.

Fyodor wondered if it would be fine to disturb the arrangement of the house by bringing something with him; a memento. His father's old Ushanka-hat stood out to him immediately as something of that sort.

His father had worn the hat practically every day during the Winter months. He had always kept it in good condition, and because of this the hat hadn't deteriorated over the years. It sat on the same hook it always had in the hallway.

When Fyodor tried the hat on he was surprised to see that it was a perfect fit. Yet, maybe it shouldn't have been surprising. His sister claimed that he looked just like a younger version of their father like this, and began weeping slightly.

They hugged goodbye before Fyodor left. His sister waved at him from the window.

As he made his way out into the world, he wondered if wearing the hat like his father had would be a good way of honouring his father's memory. Although it had been years since then, Fyodor never felt that he had done that properly.

Though, maybe he had. The hat would then simply be a symbol; a symbol that would give him comfort nonetheless.