Assurance

Requested by an anon on Tumblr. They specifically asked for the reader to be short (about 4'11) and shy. 

Recipe source: natashaskitchen.com/2010/09/26/classic-russian-borscht-recipe/

Borscht: A sour soup popular in many Eastern European countries. The most popular type is bright red, as it's main ingredient is beetroot.

-

You stared at the ingredients you had collected on part of the counter. You were currently attempting to cook a surprise dinner for Fyodor, your boyfriend.

You had decided to try making borscht, as Fyodor had taught you how a couple weeks earlier. It was one of the only things he knew how to cook, but since the dish was so time consuming he rarely had time to make it. You wanted to see if you could impress him by making good borscht on your own.

Upon looking over the ingredients you had collected, you realized that you were missing a few. All you had left to find was a can of kidney beans and a bottle of cooking oil.

You had checked all of the lower cupboards previously and hadn't seen either of the ingredients. It was safe to say that they were in the higher cupboards, which unfortunately for you, almost reached the ceiling of the kitchen. It was moments like these that made you wish you taller.

With a few tries you were able to jump high enough to open one of the cupboards. Luckily, both of the ingredients you needed were inside.

You sighed when you realized that you couldn't reach the ingredients from the ground. You didn't want to use a chair either, as Fyodor might hear you moving it from another room. The only viable option was to climb up onto the counter.

With considerable effort you were finally able to push yourself up on to the kitchen counter. You cursed inwardly when you realized that you couldn't see inside the cupboard from your new position.

"Need any help?" Fyodor asked from behind you, his voice made you start.

You turned around, smiling sheepishly, you were still crouching on the counter. "Haha... maybe." you replied.

"Well first of all, you shouldn't be on the counter like that." Fyodor said. You blushed as he easily picked you up off the counter and planted your feet back on the ground.

"What do you need from the cupboard?" Fyodor questioned, "You could have just told me that you needed something. It would have saved you the effort and it's not any trouble for me."

You frowned. "I was trying to make a surprise dinner for you, so I didn't want you to see what I was making. Now that you've seen the ingredients I have on the counter you probably already know what it is." you said.

"Do you want me to act like it's a surprise later?" Fyodor asked as he got the ingredients you were missing from the cupboard.

"No, no. You don't have to do that," you began "I just wanted to see if I could make good borscht on my own and possibly impress you. I'm not very confident in my cooking skills though, it's probably best for me to just give up..."

The confidence you had built up earlier was diminishing, and you were becoming visibly upset. Fyodor noticed almost immediately.

"It doesn't matter if it's good or not. I'll eat it either way," Fyodor said, some concern evident in his usual monotone. "Besides, you don't have to try and impress me. You're already wonderful enough."

You stared at him for a second, and you were slightly red in the face. You always became flustered when he complimented you.

"A-Alright," you stuttered "t-thank you."

Fyodor smiled slightly and then proceeded to hand you the beets from the counter. "You should probably start boiling these so we don't have to eat dinner too late. " He said. You nodded as he left the room.

You smiled to yourself, brimming with newfound confidence. Somehow, seeing Fyodor genuinely smile never failed to make you smile as well.