A Necessary Fault [prompt request]

This is another anon request from a prompt post I reblogged on Tumblr. Its dialogue is from the same post as all the others I've done. I don't expect anymore requests from this post, so it's back to regular request filling soon. 

-

You were sitting stock still, eyes unfocused and aimed at the slightly faded wallpaper in front of you. You had your legs crossed under you on the couch, and were wrapped in a wool blanket to keep out the winter chill permeating the room.

One would say that at this moment, you were not living in the present, but in supposed futures you had crafted. Worrying this far ahead was useless, but it was something you had always done, so you figured you would never stop.

Your train of thought was broken by a cold jolt to the side of your neck. Fyodor pulled his cold hand away after you turned in surprise. He smiled at you slightly, in the time you had been thinking he had sat down beside you. You figured it was recently.

"You seemed to be deep in thought." Fyodor said.

"Well, I wasn't thinking about anything too complex. I was just thinking of the future." you replied.

Fyodor nodded. "Are you worried about what might happen in the future?" he asked.

"Hmm, I wonder..." you paused to collect your thoughts, and then continued. "Fyodor, what will we do after you create your promised land?"

Fyodor smiled once again. "It's nothing to worry about. Once we reach the promised land, I'll give you anything you could ever hope for. A devout servant of God deserves such treatment. However, we will already have so much when we have reached that place. We will know the unfathomable joy of bringing goodness to the world and all people. Perhaps, greater than that joy, at least for me, will be the joy that I receive from being with you."

His words filled you with a calming warmth, one that spread across your cheeks and tinted them lightly. Fyodor wasn't usually this open with you, it made you slightly amazed.

You saw that Fyodor believed he could reach this place, just by the way he spoke of it. Hope was contagious, you had observed.

"...You have to stop doing that." you mumbled, mostly to yourself.

"What?"

You pressed your palms to your cheeks in slight embarrassment. "Saying things that make me want to kiss you." you replied.

Fyodor's strangely warm smile was still present, you wondered how you were even worthy of it sometimes. He said nothing, and went on to remove your hands from your cheeks gently. You dropped your hands back down to the couch, turning to face him directly.

He moved a strand of hair away from your face, and kissed your lips softly.

You felt yourself shiver, whether it was from the coldness of his lips, or the unusual gentleness of the kiss, you could not tell.

"Your thoughts can be so lovely," you began "and yet, they're always hidden away."

At your words, Fyodor's eyes had trailed to the wall you had been staring at earlier. He began chewing on the tip of his thumb, pondering what you said.

After a minute, he broke from his habit to reply.

"Perhaps that is a fault of mine. Sadly, my love, some faults are necessary."