Epilogue

"Here we are, just the two of us, far away from the crazy rush. And while the storm is raging, it's safe and warm inside. Close the door and forget about time..." - Boyzone, While The World Is Going Crazy

Nakatanaw lang si Efren sa balkonahe ng beach house nila sa Palawan. Hinahangin ang kurtinang puti sa double-doors sa likuran niya. His chest and four-pack abs were exposed to the calm ocean and the rising sun as he stood there wearing nothing but only his white pajamas.

Matilda already wore her white robe as she stepped out to the balcony. Niyakap niya ang asawa mula sa likuran nito, kaya napapikit si Efren saglit.

"Good morning, my goddess," he looked at her over his shoulder and pulled her arms tighter around him.

"Good morning to you, my love," she kissed his back, close to his shoulder. "Ang aga mo yata nagising ngayon."

"Body clock ko na talaga ito," his eyes returned to the sunrise. "Nagustuhan mo ba ang wedding anniversary surprise ko kagabi?"

Matilda rested the side of her face on his back and smiled. "I love it very much, my Effy."

"I am glad, my Matti."

Hinaplos ni Matilda ang dibdib nito, down to his tummy. "I love you."

Hinarap siya ni Efren. He pulled her by the waist and held her closer to him. "I love you too."

She stared into his eyes, a pair of eternal black holes that always pulled her heart and soul in it. Napangiti siya sa metaphor na iyon.

"I have learned," Efren continued, "that sometimes we make mistakes, sometimes we love a person so much it turns to hate that blinds us. Kapag naaalala ko ang nakaraan tapos bumabalik na ang isip ko sa kasalukuyan at ganitong yakap kita, abot-langit talaga ang pasasalamat ko sa Diyos."

She kissed his chin. "Mm-hmm?"

He brushed her hair strands behind her ears. "Yes. I am so thankful, Matilda... Because God have been so good to me although yes, I have been cruel."

"Palagi naman Siya mabuti. We just have to learn the hard way."

He hugged her tight. Efren closed his eyes. I love falling in love with you, Matti. And I know there will be more challenges for us along the way. Pero natutunan ko na ang dapat kong malaman para malagpasan natin ang mga darating na problema. At alam ko na may matututunan pa ako. Sa ngayon, ang mahalaga ay ang maging mapagpatawad. Maging mas open sa isa't-isa at maging mas mapang-unawa.

I lacked in those things, Matti. Pero noon iyon.

Ikalawang araw nila iyon sa Palawan para sa first wedding anniversary nila. Naiwan sa bahay nila Jude muna sila Ephraim at ang bunso nila na si Matthias kaya naman walang inaalala masyado ang dalawa na solong-solo na rin sa wakas ang isa't-isa. Hinawakan niya ito sa baba at nagtama ang mga mata nila bago niya ito hinalikan sa mga labi.

I love you, my Matti, for all life long.

He slowly left her lips and stared into her eyes where it looked like the millions of stars that were shining in the night sky. The sun was already spreading its light throughout the ocean's horizon.

"I love you, my Effy. Everything is worth it. Anything done with love is worth it," she smiled then she hugged him again.

And for Matilda, it was really worth it. Every sacrifice she made, every tear she wept, every heartache, every pride she swallowed... lahat iyon ay naging worth it dahil sa huli, nanaig ang pag-ibig. Sometimes, you have to be a fool to love. Because fools were a bunch of brave people. Matilda admitted it to herself that she was a fool, she had been a fool, because she loved Efren so much. She knew not everyone would agree, but for her, there was nothing wrong with being a fool in love.

By being a fool in love, it means you were selfless and very loving. Smart people could not afford to love that selflessly, because their brains knew that it was always a smart move to stay in your comfort zone, to test the waters, and to never ever take risks, to never let anyone hurt them, to dump people when on the early stages of the relationship, they showed their imperfections.

That was why they failed to realize if a person was their one true love. Because they were afraid to risk. Kahit sino nga naman ganoon. Sino ba ang may gusto na masaktan? Sino nga ba ang may gusto na matawag na martyr o tanga? Sino ba ang may gusto na maghabol? Sino ba ang may gusto na magmakaawa para sa pagmamahal o para sa kapatawaran?

Pero falling in love ang tawag doon, because you have to let go and fall. Even without knowing if you would fall in love or shatter on your fall.

Matilda was not suggesting anyone to just fall in love, alam niya naman na ang pakikipagrelasyon din ay isang desisyon. You will just fall deeper if you decided to.

But for Matilda, she chose to fall deeper in love with Efren Castillo.

Because she was a fool. A fool in love would always love that certain person whatever their flaws were-- whether it was in their habits, in their attitude or behavior. Because for them, love was always selfless.

Efren kissed Matilda once more, a kiss she lovingly returned, as he carried her back inside their bedroom.

The End