Chapter Eight: Just a Little Compassion

Chapter eight! :D Can I just say thank you so so so much for reading and voting for my story ^_^ It's got 89 votes and I've only posted 8 parts (including the prologue), very unexpected :D So thank you so much for voting and, Happy reading :D

Also, here's a hilarious video called Stupid Sakura Project xD It's a.. special version of a Naruto opening xD I've forgot whether it's the first or second opening song :L

Also a picture of Kakashi because he's awesome ^^ I don't actually know what he was laughing at but whatever>>>>

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sakura yawned loudly, half asleep. I didn't blame her, I was bored as well. We had been watching the construction workers as they built the bridge all day. Extremely uninteresting if you ask me.

"You always this lazy?" Tazuna, clad in builder's gear and carrying some sort of construction material on his shoulder. "Where's the annoying blond kid and the two kids with the attitude?"

"I'm right here," I stated dryly, stepping out from behind a random box I had been leaning against.

"Oh, uh.."

"They're training, climbing trees," Sakura intervened quickly, feeling the sudden awkwardness in the air.

"Except for you?" Tazuna asked, obviously relieved for the distraction.

"No, in fact, we're the best; that's why sensei sent us here to guard you," Sakura stated proudly.

"I love your modesty," I muttered, but she didn't hear me. Ugh. No one could appreciate my sarcasm when they couldn't hear me; that's the only reason I would have wanted Sasuke to be there at that moment.

"Seriously?" Tazuna looked at Sakura disbelievingly. That instantly sparked her scary side, which I'd been told about by Naruto. Her eyes bulged and she recieved an enraged anime vein on her forehead as she shook her fist. I rolled my eyes and watched as a worker walked over to Tazuna, who was placing the metal construction material he had been carrying with the rest of it.

"Tazuna? Um, I need to talk to you."

"What is it?" Tazuna asked.

"Thing is, I've been thinking about the bridge. And I've decided.. I've pushed my luck far enough, I wanna quit."

"W-Why all of a sudden?! Not you too!" Tazuna cried.

"You know, I've carried on working because of our friendship; but I'm putting my life on the line every time I stay here! If I get involved, Gatoh and his men will come after me, too," the worker said sadly. "Everything will lose meaning if you die. Why don't we stop building this bridge whilst we can still get out alive?"

Sakura and I watched and listened to this exchange of words, surprise clear on our faces.

"No chance," Tazuna replied determinedly. "This is our bridge. Our island is poor, and it will stay that way until this bridge connects us to the mainland! Trade and hope - that's what we're building here!"

"There's not gonna be much hope if we're all dead."

"It's already noon. Let's break for lunch." Tazuna walked past the worker.

"Tazuna!"

"Save your breath. Oh, and, Giichi; don't bother coming back after lunch," Tazuna told him gruffly, before turning and walking away.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Um, where are we going?" Sakura asked, looking around. We were trailing after Tazuna through a bustling street in the village. Naruto and Sasuke still hadn't returned from their training.