Chapter Fifteen

My father greeted us once we arrived and completely ignored Rogue's presence and led me to the castle. "I'm really glad you're here Jolenta, Hisui and I have been waiting! I apologize for making you travel back and forth between your guild and here. Sir Doranbolt came to visit us with his partner, Lahar. I believe they're still here along with some of the suitors I want you to meet!"

"Whoa! Father!" I gasped loudly as he pulled me away from Rogue by the wrist. "Father please, you know the reason why I'm here! Rogue and I—"

"Come now, you must hurry—oh my, this outfit just won't do and if the shadow Dragon Slayer is coming along, you both need to change," he gestured over the woman who dressed me and served me during my few years here. "June, please find a suitable gown for Jolenta to wear. You, boy, follow me."

"My, my," June's eyes brightened. "Jolenta, dear, you've grown so much. It's been so long, forgive an old woman for not remembering how long it's been since I've seen your smile. You've brought a boy with you too, he's extremely handsome."

"I've missed you too and is father serious about the suitors?" I questioned as she led me to the back room where she hung Hisui's and her late mother's gowns from the past years. "June, you can't expect me to wear mother's dress. That would be disrespectful to father and let alone Hisui!—"

"Calm yourself child," June gave me a stern stare as I quickly shut my mouth. "The gowns of the missus belong to your sister and you, meaning there's no disrespect in this family. Now, choose one quickly while I check on your father and that boy."

"June," I called out for her, but she was in too much of a rush to wait.

"Choose one, go on!" She gestured for me to carry on, but I was still trying to figure out what to do in this whole situation.

"Mother would've loved to meet you," Hisui giggled as she gave me a fright.

"Goodness, you scared me!" I gasped loudly as she stood there beautifully in the cream ballgown I gave to her for her birthday last year.

"Sorry, but I'm not joking about mother. She would've thought of you as a blessing to our family and you are. I saw Rogue with father, you should see the pained look on father's face because Rogue can't tie his tie," Hisui giggled once more as she reached for a nearby maroon dress that was decorated with white trimmings and fabric wrap. "It makes your eye color pop, mother wore this for the family portrait which was painted a week before her sudden passing. The one good thing that happened was that we found you the day after the funeral, it was fate."

"Hisui, are you—" before I could ask her about how she feels, Hisui hung the dress back up as she bursted into tears. "Hisui," I panicked as she slowly dropped to her knees and covered her face.

"I'm sorry," she whimpered as she wiped her eyes with her wrists and smiled up at me, I was worried about her. "You should get ready," Hisui pointed up at the gown. "Wear it, it'll look good on you." That's the thing about Hisui, she was emotionally strong; but, once she breaks down, you don't know what to do nor would you know how to react.

"Hisui, are you okay?" I touched her shoulder as she stood up to her true height, dusting the bell shaped skirt of her dress. "Sis?"

"I'm okay, I really am," she cupped my face as I stared at her with a concerned face. "Now, get ready." I did as I was told and grabbed her wrists to have her let go of me, but she just kept staring at me with her sweet gaze. "I love you," she pressed her lips against my forehead as I felt her love hit me like a train. I hugged her and dropped my head onto her chest.

"I love you too, big sister!" I exclaimed with a smile.

• •

I didn't know how to act because I was now part of a new family, a new home, and a new life. For as long as I could remember, Terriuma (the Earth Dragon) took care of me and loved me until the day she left me. I had no memory of her leaving, but I was just too young to know what happened. "Miss Jolenta," June smiled at me as I sat in the tub filled with warm water. "We must get you cleaned up for dinner, I'm sure you're hungry."