Chapter Six

It's been a few days since the incident that demolished the city of Crocus. I was up in my room and I cried for hours because Cobra turned himself back in. I tried my best to have him stay with me, but he just wouldn't do it. I promised him that he could see Kinana again and that I could support him, it did nothing. My heart ached as I was crouched down in the corner, wearing the cloak he gave to me on the day we first met. It was always too big for me to wear properly, but now since I'm older...it fits like a glove.

• •

"Big brother!" I called out to the poison Dragon Slayer as I ran around the demolished town, sniffing out his scent. "I'm so glad you're okay!" I sprinted towards him and hugged him as tight as I could. He was bruised, upset, and scratched. "You have no idea how glad I am."

"My feelings are the same," he hugged me back and rested his chin on the top of my head. I didn't want to let him go, I was genuinely happy that he wasn't hurt nor killed. "But, I'm pathetic, I couldn't even slay a dragon."

"I don't care about that," I buried my face into his chest. "We should be glad that it's over. You've done so much for me and I want you to stay; I could talk to the Council and maybe I could convince them for you to stay with me. You will be able to reconnect with the outside world, hear different voices, and see her."

"I'm sorry Jolenta, but I must return to prison," he said in a hoarse voice. It was like he had a sore throat or anything, but it was like he was angry about something. No, it was like he had a job to do and that nothing could stop him. "No matter how much you beg, I'm not staying. It's not safe for you."

"Wait, if you go back, they won't let me see you!" I pulled away and looked up at him in utter shock. "Please, I haven't seen you in what it seems like forever, I can't lose you again." He didn't listen, he just made his way towards the wagon heading back to where he was held before he was brought to Crocus.

"I'm surprised you didn't try to run," Doranbolt said as the Rune Knights began to handcuff him.

"Please!" I jumped in front of him and guarded him. "Don't take him, he's done so much for me."

"Princess, I must disagree with you," Lahar took a step towards me. "Give us the prisoner, he isn't a good man. We were also given specific orders for you to stay away from him at all times—"

"Don't you think I know that? My father put in that order and I'm completely against it! Cobra did do some terrible things in the past, but you don't know what I saw. He's willing to sacrifice himself for me, I saw him die on my lap and it broke me. But I'm so glad that it didn't happen, it was like a vision. I can't explain it, but I know he's a good person—ah!" I yelped in pain as Lahar smacked me across the face with such force that my head turned ninety degrees, leaving a stinging pain on my right cheek.

"You bastard!" Cobra growled and was immediately resisted against the knights grabbing at him. "How dare you hit a woman!"

"You've done worst and it was the only way to knock some sense into her," Lahar grabbed my arm and dragged me away from Cobra. "You need to understand the difference between fantasy and reality. Cobra may have been a good person to you, but he's done a lot of terrible things: he destroyed churches, lives, and terrorized cities. He's the bad guy."

"The only bad guy here is you," I whimpered. "I don't give a crap about the past, there's nothing you can do to change it! Wait until my father—"