𝑒𝑖𝑔ℎ𝑡.

08. | chapter eight

❝the loss of two members

the loss of two members.

↠↠↠

The man with red skin who had a tail that looked eerily familiar to that of the devils teleported instantly in front of Lydia, fury evident in his eyes.

"Don't!" Shaw stopped him. "Don't do it."

The man huffed before he teleported back to the other side of the room, just as the other man with black hair stood up. All of the teenage mutants quickly stood in front of Lydia as a guard in case anyone else decided to make a move on her.

Lydia glanced at the red man. "I didn't know the devil was real until I saw him," she mumbled.

"That's quite the assumption, Miss Xavier," Shaw tutted. "Where are the telepaths?"

Lydia's face dropped in an instant. "Not here," the man with black hair was quick to reply.

"Too bad," Shaw looked down, then back up at the group. "Well, at least I can take this silly thing off." Shaw took off his helmet with a cheeky grin.

Lydia was suddenly overwhelmed with thoughts and feelings, almost knocking her off of her feet. Shaw was planning on making the Russians nuke U.S.A and vice versa. He wanted a world where there were no normal humans, only mutants. He planned on killing every normal person by starting World War Three. Lydia whimpered as she was hit with his feelings of no remorse for killing all those innocent people. It made her sick to her stomach. Shaw narrowed his eyes at the girl's reaction before placing his helmet back on.

"Good evening. My name is Sebastian Shaw, and I am not here to hurt you," he grinned.

"Freeze!" A man from outside the window aimed his gun at the red man.

"Azazel," Shaw spoke. The red man named Azazel teleported out of the room where the man was and quickly killed him before teleporting back into the room. "My friends, there is a revolution coming. When mankind discovers who we are, what we can do, each of us will face a choice. Be enslaved or rise up to rule," he smiled at all of the teenage mutants. "Choose freely, but know that if you are not with us, then, by definition, you are against us. So, you can stay and fight for the people who hate and fear you, or you can join me and live like kings." He looked down at everyone, his gaze lingering on Lydia before stopping at Angel. "And queens." Shaw held his hand out for Angel to take and she slowly took it. The two began to walk towards Azazel with the man with black hair following them.

"Angel," Raven said in disbelief.

"Are you kidding me?" Sean asked.

"Come on. We don't belong here," Angel told them. "And that's nothing to be ashamed of."

Raven turned to the remaining group. "We have to do something," she quickly said.

Lydia stepped forward. "I can do something."

"No," everyone said in unison and pulled her back.

Darwin and Alex whispered something between each other before Darwin suddenly shoved Alex. He then turned back around and began to walk towards Shaw and the others. "Stop. I'm coming with you," he told them as he stepped over the glass.

Lydia stared in disbelief at Darwin before placing her fingers against her temple, reading through his mind quickly and seeing what he was about to do. "No! Don't!" She called out.

"I have to," he turned back around to her. "For my freedom."

Shaw began to walk up to him. "Good choice," he nodded. "So, tell me about your mutation."

Darwin shrugged. "Well, I adapt to survive." The group of mutants walked towards the middle of the room so that they could see what was going on better. "So, I guess I'm coming with you."

"I like that," Shaw nodded. He gestured towards the line that they had made. Darwin stood besides Angel and then grabbed onto her hand.

"Alex!" He suddenly called out.

"Get out!" Raven pulled Lydia with her as they ran into the next room. There was suddenly a loud noise but nothing followed afterwards.

Raven and Lydia walked back into the room to find Darwin turning into all of the elements, his body trying to adapt to Alex's beam with a red light inside of his chest. The pain he was experiencing rushed straight through to Lydia's head, and she let out a cry as she dropped to her knees quickly, holding onto her chest. It was absolutely horrific, the amount of pain he was in. Darwin looked back towards the group and extended his hand before exploding.

The pain that Lydia had experienced suddenly disappeared, and her hands flew up to her mouth as she felt the connection through to Darwin's mind disappearing. Lydia sat on the ground and sobbed as Raven sat down on the ground beside her and held onto her.

↠↠↠

The army and CIA rocked up the following morning and began to look around the building. The teenage mutants were interrogated, but didn't tell them much. The remaining of the mutants sat on a stone step with their heads in their hands, mourning the loss of their friend.

Feet pounding on the gravel shifted Lydia's attention, and she looked up and saw Charles running up to the group.

"Charlie!" Lydia's eyes began to water again as she stood up and ran up to him, then clung to his waist. He wrapped his arms around her in an instant, squeezing her as if to make sure she was still there. Lydia clutched onto his jacket as she began to cry lightly into his shirt.

"Lyds, it's alright. I'm here now. It's okay," Charles said softly as he smoothed down her hair.

"She had another episode," Raven spoke up as she walked up to them. "I tried to calm her down, but this one was different. It's was more powerful. Her eyes even glowed green."

Charles took in what Raven told him before looking at the others as he continued to hold onto Lydia. "We've made arrangements for you to be taken home immediately."

"We're not going home," Sean immediately told him.

"What?"

"He's not going back to prison," Sean looked at Alex and then at them.

"He killed Darwin," Alex said.

"All the more reason for you to leave," Charles told him. "It's over."

"He plans to do something unthinkable," Lydia's voice was muffled in Charles' jacket. "He plans to kill every non mutant by creating World War Three."

Charles kissed the top of her head. "I know."

"Darwin's dead, Charles," Raven said. "And we can't even bury him."

"We can avenge him," Erik spoke up.

"And what? Call ourselves the Avengers?" Lydia asked.

He shrugged. "It was just an idea."

"Erik, a word, please." Charles brought Lydia over with the two of them as he knew that she would be able to hear them anyway. "They're just kids."

"No. They were kids," Erik said. "Shaw has his army, we need ours."

"We can always train at our house. There's plenty of room there," Lydia told Charles.

Charles turned back to the group. "We'll have to train. All of us. Yes?"

"Yeah," they all nodded in reply.

"Well, we can't stay here," Hank spoke. "Even if they reopen the department, its not safe. We've got nowhere to go."

"Yes, we do," Charles told them, before sharing a look with Raven and then looked down at Lydia.

Lydia looked up at Charles and nodded, a small smile on her face. "Back to the family home it is."