Part 37: Winding Down

*Holy shit, 6k reads! I can't believe it! Thanks guys!*

Sal's POV

"One." His eyes snap open and he almost falls on the floor because he had just started to flip out. It almost looked like a seizure... The doctor and I help him sit up on the couch as he attempts to catch his breath and wipe away the sweat that had formed on his brow. I begin to slowly rub his back. I'm still holding his hand, and he's still squeezing painfully hard.

"Are you okay? Babe, please talk to me. Please."

But he wouldn't. He wouldn't say a damn thing about what he saw, other than he had already forgotten it. Dr. Denair might believe him, but I don't buy it. Not for one millisecond. But I know that he just might not be comfortable talking about it with her, so I don't push it until we get back to his house. He unlocks it and plops onto the couch facedown and the cats jump up on him. I shut the door, take my shoes off, and sit on the other couch.

"Brian," I wait for him to look up at me. "Please. Just tell me what you saw."

"I already told you, I-I don't remember."

"I've been your best friend for over 26 years now. I know when you're lying. You tend to stumble over your words more and you avoid eye contact."

"Sal I lie for a fucking living."

"But when you lie to me or the guys, it's different. On the show we pretend to be someone we're not, like cashiers and shit. That's more like acting than lying. But here? You're Brian Quinn, and you can't lie to me without me knowing it."

He just sighs as his head hits the cushion again, muffling his voice a lot. "Okay, I saw something. But I'm... I'm just not ready to talk about it. It doesn't make any sense, and I need to work it out on my own."

"Is it bad? Can you at least tell me if you're okay?"

"I'm fine. That's about all I know." And that's all he tells me. Nothing more, nothing less. Just 'I'm fine, but it doesn't make sense'. I fucking hate it.

*3 Days Later, Monday Night*

Brian's POV

Going back to the bar makes me extremely nervous, especially since I have to park in the back to wait for her and I can see the spot where it all happened. It's as if nothing had happened at all. But it did.

She doesn't know I'm here, and I don't know what time her shift is over. Or if she's even working tonight, but I hope she is because we really need to talk.

It's nearly midnight when she finally comes through the back door, and I get out of my jeep. The sound of the door and my sudden appearance scares the shit out of her.

"What the fuck are you doing here?! You can't be here!"

"Faith, wait!" She starts running towards an old beat up hyundai, and I'm able to snatch the keys out of her hands as she's fumbling for the right one at the door. "Please! Do you even know why I'm here?"

Giving me a weird look that I don't quite understand, she says, "Of course not."

"Then... Then why would you run from me?"

"B-because, m-my boyfriend... would kill me." Something about her tone of voice is off. Really off. I don't like it.

"You have a boyfriend?"

"Yeah... He doesn't like it when I talk to other guys. He gets really jealous. Now please," at that she yanks her keys out of my hands and unlocks the doors. "Just let me go."