chapter 6: hollow eyes

"Okay, there is only one more thing we have to do before you guys can become Konoha citizens." Minato informed with a smile.

"Not another test." Both Naruto and Aimi groaned.

"Don't worry it's not a test, we just have to introduce you two to the Hokage." He chuckled.

The three walked in a comfortable silence, Naruto and Aimi taking in how different this Konoha was from there own. The most obvious change was the Hokage mountain.

The mountain only had three faces compared to the five they were used to seeing.

Naruto had never been able to have his face carved on the mountain, he was named the rokudaime on the battlefield and by the time they had been back to the village there was no mountain to carve his face on.

Everything was different, the village was sleepy, lazy and careless. Letting someone in so easy was accountable to the peace they were used to.

Although both Naruto and Aimi knew that this would change soon, the third shinobi world war would start soon and then this village would sadly start to resemble the one they had come to know.

A village weighted down and tired, with dark foreboding clouds hanging over it. Even if it was a bright and sunny day the world seem to darken at the mention of war, the temperature dropping to near freezing.

"Hey Naruto-kun, Aimi-chan we're here." Minato announced.

Minato had been quietly observing Aimi and Naruto out of the corner of his eye while they were going through the village, what he saw had him extremely concerned.

Minato had seen eyes that children shouldn't have. Eyes that were exhausted, exhausted with living.

He had only seen eyes like that once before and it was on a war veteran that had been through more battles then Minato would ever want to be in.

Those eyes had haunted him and he hoped that he would never see them staring back at him in the mirror.

Eyes that were hollow and empty.

Minato had watched Aimi and Naruto and eventually he couldn't stand the looks on their little faces anymore. He wanted to see the excited children that had laughed when he started jumping through the trees.

So Minato called out to Naruto and Aimi and watch as their eyes slowly, but surely filled with life and Minato wondered just how much have they endured.