chapter 5: test?

When Minato had said that, he reminded them of the last time they had seen their village, the image that was always burned into the back of their minds the fire, smoke and bloodshed. The utter despair at seeing their home destroyed again was mind shattering and this time it couldn't be rebuilt for there was no one left to rebuild it.

"Kits."

Kurama's voice shook them out of their depressed state and reminded them that they had a second chance... a chance to fix everything. A chance to keep all of their promises. Turning to the concerned Minato they gave him a small but true smile, surprising him in their warmth.

"This is a really nice village." Aimi's and Naruto's voices were soft and their words true. They brought a smile of pride from the gatekeepers that heard them and they clapped them on their shoulders.

"You bet it is kids and you guys will fit right in."

Naruto's and Aimi's smiles widened.

'Kurama.' Aimi started.

"Yes kit?"

'We're going to save everyone this time...right?' Naruto asked, finishing for his sister.

"Stupid kits, you guys think I'm going to allow my containers to fail a second time?"

'...Thanks Kurama.' Was the answer he received from both of his containers.

"Bakas."

"Okay Naruto-kun, Aimi-chan you guys are all set to go in but first we have to do a small test to make sure you guys aren't spies."

"We hate tests! Ya know!" Aimi yelled and Naruto stuck his tongue out in disgust.

'She kind of reminds me of Kushina.' Minato thought, slightly amused.

"Don't worry guys this one is an easy test." Minato laughed at the disgusted faces Aimi and Naruto were wearing.

A gatekeeper that neither Aimi nor Naruto recognized ushered them away from Minato, who had a reluctant look on his face as if he didn't want to be separated from them.

'Kurama, what are we going to do if they use that mind jutsu?' Naruto asked the fox.

"Don't worry kit, they're not going to use such a high level technique, unless you do something to raise their suspicions."

Naruto nodded before looking relieved.

"For example, making weird expressions for no reason."

Aimi fought the urge to laugh while Naruto was fighting the urge to ram his head into the nearest wall.

"Also, it's probably better if you listen to what their saying."

Naruto was barely holding back a growl, but satisfied himself with sending a mental curse to the fox before listening carefully to what the person was saying.

"-a jutsu that let's me see your surface thoughts so I will know if you guys are lying, understand?"

"Hai!" The Yamanaka did a few hand signs and Naruto and Aimi felt a prickling in their heads, it wasn't painful just... a bit annoying.

"Are you spies?"

"No." Naruto and Aimi answered simultaneously.

"Do you intend to hurt Konoha in any way?"

"No."

"What happened to your home?" The question caught both Naruto and Aimi off guard and their eyes clouded from the memories before they answered.

"It was destroyed." They focused on giving half truths and after a few more questions they were free to go.

They happily went back to Minato, who was waiting for them just outside the room.

"Great job Naruto-kun, Aimi-chan." Minato smiled, truly relieved that they had past. He ruffled their hairs and watched in amusement as they blushed lightly before pouting.

"Okay, there is only one more thing we have to do before you guys can become Konoha citizens."