Moving In

I pulled into the reserved parking space beside Scarlett outside our new apartment. I would never have been able to afford this but rooming with a best friend who's parents are minted has its benefits.

We were both going to live in the student halls but Mrs Burns said that her daughter shouldn't have to stay with the 'riff raff' so her parents purchased a four bedroom apartment in the new modern buildings that have just been built by the riverside in Edinburgh.

I don't understand why she needed to buy such a big one but she said it was an investment which would pay out in later years and who was I to argue. They said that I could stay rent free which is amazing and Scarlett and I will share everything else and when you are at University, free accommodation is a life saver but staying with my best friend is the winner for me.

Looking away from the building I see Scar has already got out her car and is starting to unload some of her stuff from her boot. I don't have nearly as much as her but get out and open my boot.

This is gonna be amazing!" Scarlett exclaims. "Living with my best friend, in a swanky apartment, lots of hot new guy at Uni and the start of our future all coming our way starting today!" She says excitedly clapping,jumping up and down. Scarlett is like a kid having a sugar rush!

"It's going to be brilliant Scar! This is exactly what we wanted!" I say closing my boot lifting out my two suitcases.

Dragging my suitcases I follow behind her heading towards the glass doors of the front of our building.

Looking up it must be at least twenty five stories high, the sunlight reflecting off the glass and sleek shiny metal on the outside gives it a modern feel and the colourful abstract panels scattered throughout made it look unique.

Walking through the doors we were met by the doorman who gave Scarlett an envelope that turned out to be from her Mum with two sets of keys for us and a schedule of her parents travel plans. We excitedly rushed over to the lifts. When we got in we tried to figure out what level we should press and it turned out we were on the top floor.

We got out and found that there was only four doors on this level. Finding 25A we opened it and walked in.

"Holy shitballs!" I shout jumping up and down. "This place is huge! It's like a house inside a house"I say looking around.

In front of me is an open plan living room and kitchen that you have to take two steps down to. Walking down a short hall there was a toilet and a bedroom with an ensuite. Coming back to the living room there was a set of curved stairs leading upstairs to the two other bedrooms and the last bedroom had been turned into a study/library with a window seat and desk with a laptop and computer.

The whole apartment was mainly white with chrome accessories and a dash of colour here and there. My room had light blue furnishings and Scarlett's had purple. She had told her mum's decorators before they started what our favourite colours were but left the rest to her mum. It has all the latest electronics and had mood changing lighting that could be controlled by remotes. Beautiful!

"Wow! Even by my parents standards this is amazing! It's going to be fab living here don't you think?" Libby says lying back on the couch putting her feet on me.

"Definitely! Are you sure I can't pay rent? This must have cost a fortune and I don't want your parents to think I am taking advantage of them?" I ask

"Don't be silly! They love you like another daughter.They wouldn't have said it was okay if it wasn't, they didn't want us to stress about possibly being split up in accommodation and knew how expensive it could be for us, plus like my mum said it's an investment. Please don't think about it again we will be paying everything else except gas and electricity so don't worry. Okay?" She says sitting up looking at me to show her sincerity placing her hand on my shoulder.