Chapter Eight: A Surprise

Start from the beginning

Sabrina rolled her eyes. She's such an Aphrodite girl.

There it is again...

My thoughts were interrupted by Julia walking out of the bathroom. She was clad in her goth-punk look and thick black eyeliner. I still was shocked how much she reminded me of Thalia--the attitude, the defiance.

She grinned at Sabrina. "Made it out alive, didn't ya?"

Sabrina grimaced. "Impossibly, I did. Now it's my turn for the bathroom." She pulled out a hangar with that plastic covering over it, containing a designer outfit probably by Juicy. Sabrina then flounced into the bathroom. Sabrina didn't seem as spunky today, not completely herself, I noticed.

After Sabrina finally finished with her outfit and makeup and hair, I had packed all of my stuff and even packed Sabrina's things for her, arranged and folded perfectly in the designer suitcases.

Sabrina noticed. "Thanks, Annabeth." She unzipped the nearest bag. "Wow. you even have them packed like I do."

Julia made a face. "Why do you think Annabeth did it? I could've packed your bags for you."

Sabrina stuck her tongue out at her. " 'Cause you'd put my clothes away in the garbage. I still haven't forgotten about that bra incident."

Julia stuck her tongue out at her. "In my defense, it looked like wrapping paper."

I sighed. "Will you two stop your antics? I swear, you're going to be the death of me. I'm going to get a killer headache from you two." Not really. I'd probably get killed by some monster. Or Percy annoys me to death. I headed for the bathroom, my change of clothes in my hands, before they could reply.

Once I was changed into my jeans, thermal shirt and sweater, I came out where Julia and Sabrina were still waiting, surprisingly. I looked at them questioningly. I would've thought they'd have left the dorm already.

Julia grinned. "My uncle is stuck in traffic. More like stopping at Subway for the fifth time on his way here. Won't be here until like 4:30."

Sabrina smiled. "I'm staying in NYC, so no rush. My cousin is staying here with me." She checked her phone. "She's not here yet."

"I'm taking a taxi to the camp. That's where I'm staying for the break." I said. "Why don't we go down to the lobby and wait there?" I suggested.

"Sounds good. And, Julia, Annabeth, help me with these bags. I can't carry all of them by myself." Sabrina picked up two of her five bags and strutted out of the room.

Julia, Sabrina and I waited in the lobby while everyone else flitted around, hugging and kissing their parents and family. The wind was howling outside, the large window walls in danger of breaking. I saw mothers embrace their daughters, and I tried to remember the last time my mother did that to me. Once, I think, years ago. I haven't even talked to my mother in a month.

I realized that was like it for Sabrina and Julia, too. Sabrina doesn't know her mother. Julia hasn't seen either of hers. It's the life of every demigod.

"Exactly, Annie." A voice whispered into my ear. I whipped around and sent a punch at the air.

Chiara was grinning at me, her bleached teeth alarmingly bright against her tanned skin and black hair. She was about fifteen feet behind me, even though a second ago she was right at my back. No other person was in the lobby anymore. We were alone.

I had a sudden revelation. Why didn't I realize it sooner?

She laughed. "Yes, half-blood. You're getting slow. You're going to need to be faster if you have a chance of defeating the rising forces."