33. Social Ignorance

° Violet °

I waited anxiously in the backseat of my dad's old car, looking outside the window as my mum checked to see if the address we were at was indeed correct.

My breathing felt shaky, and I didn't quite know what I'd say to these new people that I apparently had met before.

"We're here" my mother said as she opened the door, and stepped outside.

I followed my parents up the small trail that led to the house we were to visit, and I examined my surroundings with a half-opened eye.

Feeling my purse vibrate, I pulled out my phone in confusion as I turned on the screen, and noticed the message notification.

Ashton: Why didn't you tell me you were leaving to England ?

I smiled down at my phone, bringing my thumbs at the keyboard to respond—but only to be greeted heavily by an opened door, and a series of loud voices.

"You've grown up so much" a woman with her dark hair thrown up in a bun said to me.

"Mini's not so mini anymore" a blonde haired man said to the woman prior.

After receiving many hugs, and feeling rather guilty for not remembering the people who obviously remembered me, I finally spotted a couple of familiar faces which relieved me at every extent.

"Thank God" I breathed out, bringing my arms around my Aunt Gen, and Uncle Lou, "I don't remember anyone here" I admitted.

"Well–" Gen began, leaning forward to whisper into my ear, "–that's Niall and Beth" she told me as she pointed at the blonde man, and a woman with the same hair colour, "They send you the birthday cards you get every year"

"Then there's Mel–" my aunt continued, "–she gave you that purple teddy you keep on your bed when you were born, and lastly is Zayn, you used to like it when he'd draw small figures on your little hands"

"But don't worry about it, love" Lou told me, "It's not about remembering, it's about appreciating"

I smiled to the two, looking throughout the house in awe until my eyes landed on a picture frame placed on one of the shelves, "What about her?" I asked, pointing to the photo of a beautiful blonde girl within the frame.

"That's Alison" Gen said, looking at the same photo I was, and my breathing became slower as I admired the girl's photo.

"She's beautiful" I told them, looking to my Uncle Lou, "Isn't she?"

"That she was" he said with a small smile, "There's still so much more you need to know, Violet—and I have a feeling this trip will supply you with that"

Ω ∆ Ω

I lied in the middle of the school field my father and his friends brought me to, insisting I'd have to see the 'high school' they went to when they were my age. They had gone to visit their professors whilst I lied on the grass; with a journal my mum had given me to read.

She told me it belonged to my grandmother, that it had helped her when she felt lost.

My grandmother wrote of love, passion, and risks. She wrote of her lack of a father, and lack of affection from the world. I admired it with every inch of my soul.

My gran was fifteen when she began writing in her journal, I had turned fifteen last month.

I flipped through the pages, and a small sheet of paper had fallen out, and onto my stomach. With knitted eyebrows, I set the journal aside, and held the folded piece of paper in front of my face.