28. Social Uncertainty

° Violet °

"So everyone's holidays were—interesting" I said as we all simultaneously closed our locker doors.

"The school's gravy looks like Jello" Juliet said in slight disgust.

"My brother got a girl pregnant" Jessa added with sigh.

"I lost my virginity" Alicia said, making us all look at her in sheer shock since she'd failed to mention the small fact when she explained what her break consisted of.

"I called it!" Jessa ended our awkward silence, "Beginning of the year, I said Ali would be the first to lose her virginity"

"Was it with Michael?" I asked Alicia as we continued to walk down the hall.

"Who else would it be with?" Alicia asked, looking between the three of us, "It was—I don't know—different" Alicia smiled.

I glanced to Juliet, seeing her desperately silent as we all spoke.

"Maybe let's not talk about each other's sex life" I said, attempting to change the subject for Juliet's sake, "Let's talk about the fact that Jessa's going to be an aunt" I beamed.

"Oh, so we can't talk about our sex lives—but I have to talk about my brother's sex life?" Jessa complained, "Besides, you guys know how much children hate me—I'll be the worst aunt ever"

"Your brother got a girl knocked up?" Luke came up out of nowhere, standing between Alicia and I, "Damn, did anyone ever tell him about safety?"

"You'd know wouldn't you?" I asked in a teasing manner.

"Actually, I would" he teased back, and I jokingly narrowed my eyes at him.

"Sarcasm gets you nowhere" I said in an equally sarcastic voice.

"Oh, but I wasn't being sarcastic" Luke answered in attempts to mock me with a laugh.

"Are you being bothered, Violet?" the familiar, high-pitched voice asked me, pushing herself between Luke and I.

"Lydia" Luke muttered, and what Ashton had said about their past seemed to be true.

Lydia didn't respond, but instead looked him up and down in judgement to which the rest of us caught onto when we all shared a glance to one another.

"I should go" Luke said with discomfort, "Since playful conversation's such a crime. I'll see you guys later"

Waiting for Luke to leave entirely, Lydia rolled her eyes and turned to us, "Thank God he's gone, I wouldn't want him anywhere around you guys" Lydia said to us, bringing a hand to my arm, "Luke Hemmings is not to be trusted"

"I'm sure he isn't" Jessa said to her in a threatening tone only Alicia, Juliet, and I could ever hear.

"We should get to class" Juliet finally said, beginning out of the building, which the rest of us followed for until my name was called.

"Are you guys getting ready for the school camp-out?" Lydia asked me, and I looked to her in confusion.

"School camp-out?" I asked her, seeing Ashton walk up to us with a beaming smile, and a kiss to Lydia's cheek which made me all the more uncomfortable.