29. Social Road Trips

° Jessa °

December came in like the cold breezes that accompanied it, quickly and swiftly.

Christmas break would commence a week prior, but until then the weekend trip to the mountains came sooner than thought of.

The girls and I had spent our entire night before the bus ride there packing everything and anything we'd need. Ranging from the cutest beanies we could find to yo-yo string in case we lost our shoelaces.

While in the process of stuffing various articles of clothing in our bags, a knock on the door took all of our attentions away from the subject.

"Jessa's getting it" Juliet said, making me widen my eyes.

"Why me?" I asked.

"Because you're the only one who's finished packing" she snickered, and I playfully narrowed my eyes before making way to the front door.

I pushed my hair behind my ear as I opened the door, my shoulders dropping at the sight of who it was, "What are you doing here?" I asked my brother, "Don't tell me you moved out"

Eliot pursed his lips, and shook his head, "Nope, didn't move out" he said to me, "One question though, why the hell did you give mom my permission slip for your school trip to the damn mountains?"

I furrowed my eyebrows, "I never registered your name for a slip, Eliot" I assured him.

"Well, mom sent in two slips for you and I" he told me, "She said that this could 'get my mind off things'" he rolled his eyes.

I was left confused, until I realized that she had wanted me to send her a copy of the permission slip. As I explained it to my brother, he rolled his eyes even more harshly before letting himself in.

"I can't believe this" he said to me, "I was meant to hang out with my actual friends this weekend, now I'm stuck babysitting my little sister"

I looked at him in offense, "Hey, I didn't want this either" I said to him, "I don't want you there as much as you don't want to be there"

Eliot lit up, looking to me with a small smirk, "Well then, now I want to go" he snickered, receding into the hallway, "I'm sleeping in your room tonight" he called before closing the door.

Ω ∆ Ω

Our entire class waited outside for our bus to come. Juliet and Violet sat on the floor with their bags, while the rest of us all stood up in look out for the bus. When it finally came, our entire school was practically already at the campground.

"This is starting to get ridiculous, I'm going to go see what's the hold up" Alicia said, heading toward the front gate of the school along with Michael.

I looked over to my brother, snickering at his posture, "Try to act a little bit more excited" I told Eliot, seeing him with his arms crossed, and a scowl firmly placed on his face.

"I prefer not to live within an abundance of lies, Jessa" he said to me, adjusting the strap of his backpack over his shoulder.

I looked at him strangely, shaking my head, and turning to Violet on the floor.

"Are Ashton and Lydia going?" I asked her.

"The entire school is going" Violet sighed, crossing her legs as she sat on the ground.

"As long as we don't see them everywhere" Juliet said, "I don't know how many more times I can hear Lydia's laugh"

"I get it, but she's overall really nice, and —urgh!" Violet exclaimed in frustration, "My crush's girlfriend is a sweetheart"