Lancelot: Sam's Savior

Start from the beginning

He moved to look at me and slightly smiled. I could see him now and my eyes widened when I saw his deep brown ones looking right at me. I softly shook his hand as he replied, "Lancelot."

I couldn't believe it. He's Lancelot...THE Lancelot! How could I have forgotten him for even a moment? Well, we were just running for our lives. I'll give myself a pass on this one, even if I couldn't stop smiling like a fangirl. Finally! A real knight who could treat me like a real friend!

"I'm sorry, did you say Lancelot?" I excitedly asked as he nodded his head. Before I could say anything else, his eyes rolled in the back of his head and fell right into my lap. Honorable and heavy. "Ok, Lancelot is here and he's hurt..." I looked down at my raw hands. "And I'm hurt...how am I going to get him back to Gaius?"

3rd POV

"What is taking your sister so long? It does not take more than an hour to collect those mushrooms."

Merlin looked up from his book when he heard Gaius voice his worry. "I'm sure Sam is all right. She's probably still upset about this morning." Merlin paused for a moment before asking, "Why did Arthur sack her and not me? I thought the prophecy stated that both of us need to help and protect Arthur. How can Sam help him or me if she's no longer a maidservant?"

Gaius sighed before removing his glasses. "I cannot say. Arthur did not seem to want to lose her as his maid, but clearly he felt compelled to do so. Perhaps, after the poison, he does not want to risk her any more harm. Besides, Sam looked pleased when she found out her new position as a gardener. She does love to visit the roses."

"I just hope she won't get into any more trouble," said Merlin.

Both Gaius and Merlin jumped when the door violently banged. Merlin's mouth dropped when he saw his little sister drag herself in with an unconscious man at her side. She was gripping the man's waist so tightly her fingers were white and the arm draped over her shoulder was severely weighing her down. But what shocked Merlin most was that Sam's new dress was stained with dirt...and splattered with blood. His eyes fell to the strips of cloth from her dress that were wrapped around both of her hands, but only the knot tying them off at the top were clean of her blood.

"Well don't just stand there and stare at me! Help! He weighs a ton and I don't want to accidently drop him again," Sam grunted as she tried to hold onto Lancelot's shifting body. Gaius and Merlin instantly ran to her and helped carry Lancelot to the empty cot.

"Sam, are you all right? Your dress-"

"I'm fine, Merlin, really. I had to rip my dress to try to stop my hands from bleeding so I could carry him back here. I'm just lucky my magic was able to help me get us back." Sam looked down at her dress and groaned. "Gwen just made this for me... She is going to kill me when she sees it is ruined."

After a much-needed bath and a clean, new dress, Sam walked by the window to feel the late afternoon sun warm her drying skin. She took a breath as she continued on to sit with Gaius as he examined Lancelot.

"He saved my life, Gaius," she whispered meekly as she took the hand that lead her to safety. "He will be all right, won't he?"

Gaius took a moment to mix the herbal medicine and replied, "The wound itself is superficial and the fever will pass. He should be fine in the morning. You should get some sleep, Samantha. You had a long day today."

SAM'S POV

My eyes slowly opened when I felt the morning rays hit my face and heard the rooster crowing. I looked over to see that Merlin had already left to wake Arthur. It was strange being alone in the morning. I had gotten so used to the routine as Arthur's maidservant, but I no longer work for him. Directly, anyway. I groaned as I slowly got up and grabbed my new uniform to wear. It was similar to my old one, only I was given a small leather bodice to go over what I'm sure used to be a white shirt and a slightly stained green skirt that actually wrapped around a pair of brown pants. After I dressed, I walked out to see my new friend, Lancelot, rising from his cot.