Chapter 22

CHAPTER 22

That evening, as promised, Sarah called me and we met up in front of the shop lots. I just took a couple of clothes and my toiletries. We drove to the other side of the island and it looked slightly the same but it was more of a town there. There were clinics and restaurants. I could see more tourists there and now I knew why no one was at the other side. The other side was a small village. 

A beautiful one.

Sarah lived in an actual brick house connected with other brick houses. Flo pulled my dress into the house and she showed me her room, and her Barbie dolls, and her flower collection. Now I knew why she loved flowers so much. She had an album about flowers and pictures of flowers every where. 

I would sleeping over tonight so Sarah decided to cook dinner for the four of us. Her husband, Ronald wasn't really friendly but he was a nice person. He took the whole night to search for the news in his newspaper pile. It was not surprising how high the piles were, considering he was a hoarder. 

We took a break from searching and ate the fresh lasagna Sarah baked. 

"It's delicious, Sarah. Thank you," I smiled, gratefully.

"My pleasure, darling," she winked.

After dinner, it was Flo's bed time. She came and hugged me tight and said, "One day, I wish I could find a friend like you."

I smiled at her and kissed her cheeks, "You will, kiddo. Good night," I waved at her as she went up the staircase to her room.

We continued to search for the news until Ronald was like, "Ah, here it is."

He passed the piece to me and smiled, "I hope it helps you," and walked up to his room.

I brought the news to the guest room and stayed there on my bed reading the headlines;

BOY WENT ON SEARCH FOR GIRLFRIEND MISSING.

Just looking at the headlines made me cry. 

Dylan Cooper, son of Dr Martin and Santana Cooper who was lost eight years ago, is missing while sailing on a look for his girlfriend. The girlfriend's name who is not stated lived in New York and this young man decided to sail to find her. A rescue team was sent a week later since his journey and came back without any sign of Dylan. Dylan is declared missing and anyone with any information of him, or the sight of him is requested to call this number 5540-6621. 

That was it? Rescue team sent and that was it? I came all the way here to read this? 

I sighed. At least I had some more detailed information from Rose and Grandpa. I looked at Dylan's picture which was at the side of the news. 

"Oh Dylan," I said to myself, "Where are you?" I started to cry again. 

Living in regrets was the last thing I wanted to happen. No, scratch that, I never wanted it to happen. Is there a moment in your life when you said "If only"? If only you hadn't done something that could change what ever that was happening right now to something better than it was now. Well, I definitely know what I did and I regretted. And as I gave up on us, he was still there, persistent and still out there maybe, looking for me, and probably wondering where to start looking. 

I was flying back tomorrow afternoon and I knew I was going to come here and visit this place every year to see if Dylan came back. And I would visit Grandpa every year because I knew he had no one now and I'd rather be with him than have the thought of him being lonely 365 days a year. 

My birthday was in a week time and I was going to be launching my first book. My phone had been filled with all the messages about the story and here I was being oblivious to it for a boy I was in love with. Oh what would dad think of this?

I needed a break!

It was late and I had to get back to Grandpa by tomorrow morning so I closed my eyes and maybe get a peaceful sleep.

~*~

I woke up in the middle of the night from a dream I couldn't face. I dreamt that Dylan came back but he was mad at me for leaving him and made me feel guilty. He started cutting himself and I watched him suicide. I woke up with swollen eyes from crying in my sleep. 

After that, I couldn't sleep and I didn't want to continue sleeping, fearing I would face that dream again. I stayed up replying all my messages from my phone and told Belle I would start work again the next day. 

I'll be there! -Belle

I was so grateful to have an assistant like Belle. 

I just lay down there, staring at the ceiling. It was six in the morning when I heard the doors in the house open. That means someone was awake. There were knocks on my door and it was Flo. 

"Good morning, kiddo. You're up early," I hugged when she came to me in her P.J.s.

"I had a nightmare. Mummy and daddy are still sleeping," she frowned, playfully.

"Me too, kiddo. I had a nightmare too."

"You're leaving today, right?" she looked at me in the eyes and I could see her sadness. 

"Yes, I am."

She looked away, "I'll miss you."

I chuckled sadly, "I'll miss you too."

For a moment, Flo was just quiet and she suddenly got out of my arms and ran upstairs. I wondered if I said anything wrong and I hoped not. I went to take a shower and packed my clothes. Sarah would be awake soon and I had to get back by 10. Before I could turn the door knob, Flo came running to me with a rose wrapped with pink flower wrappers. 

"This is for you."

A tear fell from my right eye as I held the rose in my hands. Sarah came down all dressed up and said, "Ready to go?"

While I was in the car, I remembered everything that Flo told me. 

"Please don't forget me. I won't forget you." her voice went through my head. I took a picture with her with my phone and stared at the picture. She was just 5 years old but she meant something to me already. She was my friend, something I didn't have when I was young. 

A friend.

"Flo's never really had a friend. And I'm surprised she could be so fond with you," Sarah said, breaking the awkward silence we were having in the car. 

"I never really had a friend, either," I admitted. 

She looked at me in shock and asked. I told her about my past. About the rumours and about my high school life. I told her about Dylan being the only stranger who wanted to be my friend. I told her about my stage name to start a new life. 

She smiled at me and said, "Life is full of second chances, isn't it?" 

Well, if losing Dylan was a second chance, I didn't want a second chance. 

She dropped me off at Grandpa's and I thanked her for everything. 

"I'd come visit soon!" I said, before she left again. 

I spent around two hours with Grandpa just talking about the past and having tea. I didn't think he would last another year but before I left, I hugged him and told him I would visit him every year. That made him smile and I knew he felt lonely for five years. I went back to my cottage and took my luggage to the airplane that was taking me back to my future. I couldn't look at the past now. Dylan was missing because of me, and I couldn't bring him back. 

But either way, he had my heart and I was pretty sure I had his too because at times I really could feel him around me, telling me he loved me. 

"I love you too, Dylan. I love you too."

xxx

Well I will keep you guys in suspense. :P