Chapter 20

Well, is the story getting intensed? I would like to thank everyone for a great response. It's not much, but I'm grateful. Thank you. Here is Chapter 20.

xxx

CHAPTER 20

I walked down the steps and breathed in the fresh air of Pearl Island. I walked towards the beach and looking further, I saw the cottage I used to stay at, five years ago. Oh, how I used to hate the fanless room. 

I knocked to check if there was anyone inside. 

"Are you looking for someone?" I heard a soft sweet voice from behind me said. I turned around to see a little girl probably around 6 years old, with a yellow tulip in her hand. She had curly brown hair that was neatly tied as a poney tail. 

"No, I was just checking if there's anyone living here. I just landed and I need a place to stay?" I tried to explain so she could understand.

"I guess you can. No one seems to be in there," she smiled at me, sweetly. 

My eyes widened in shock, "Doesn't anyone come here?" I asked her.

She shrugged," I don't know. I'm just five," and held out the flower at me, "Do you want this?"

Her cuteness could make me cry, "Sure, kiddo. Where do you come from?" 

"I live with mummy and daddy at the other side of the island, passing the woods. Mummy wanted to have a glimpse of the other side so we came here and she found even more shop lots so... she went shopping and she asked me to walk around and then I found you," she smiled so wide until both her eyes was closed. 

"Can I meet your mummy?" I asked her, she probably would have heard of the news of Dylan.

"Don't you want to keep you big bag first?" she said, pointing at the luggage. 

"Yes, of course," I gave her a pleasing smile. 

"What's your name?" she asked, politely. Damn, this girl is properly mannered and cute at the same time? If only I had children that way. 

"You can call me Tasha," I bent down to her eye level, "What's yours, kiddo?"

"My name is Florence. But I like it when you call me kiddo," she handed me the yellow tulip and I accepted it remembering how I met this beautiful little girl.

"Want to follow me put my bags?" I carried my luggage while I opened the door to an old place.

"Okay!" she exclaimed, excitedly.

I carried my luggage to the living hall because I didn't need to be in a room anymore since I was just alone. Sleeping on the couch seemed fun. Florence was just looking at me curiously and probably wondered why I wasn't sleeping in a room. 

"Why are you here?" she finally asked. 

I sighed, and took a deep breath, "I lost a really close friend of mine five years ago. And I wanted to know more about him being missing," I patted her head, careful not to ruin her neatly done poney tail.

She lifted her left eyebrow in confusion but shut her mouth and not asking me any more questions. We walked out of the cottage and to the row of shop lots. She was skipping on the wooden planks looking at every shop for her mother. I remembered this exact place where Dylan first saw me. The grocery shop was taken over by someone else and this was the place I acted insane like I was in a concert. Memories come rushing back to me and I wanted to cry again. 

If only I hadn't left.

But I had to accept the fact that everything happens for a reason. I need to know what is meant to be, will happen. But Dylan was a friend of mine, and even though I was still in love with a missing boy, I still cared for him. Alive or dead, I needed to know. Dylan disappearing in my life was as if a part of me was already gone. Leaving him was hard enough and now he was completely gone?

"MUMMY!" Florence shouted as she ran into one of the souvenir shops and hugged her mother. I looked at how tight she hugged her and it reminded me when I was five. And it reminded me how young Dylan was when he lost his parents. I couldn't stand these flashbacks. It brought a sharp stab to my heart and it made my stomach ache to the max. I didn't know what really caused it but it hurts so much. It was as if there were butterflies, but instead of that, it felt like needles. 

"Mummy, I made a friend! She had a friend who was missing five years ago that is why she's here," she said, pulling her mother's skirt towards my direction. I giggled to myself looking at how silly Florence looked.

"Hello," Flo's mother greeted me.

"Hi. I met this kiddo when I was at an old cottage I used to stay at. I just wanted to ask a few questions if you don't mind?" I smiled at her, hoping she'd give me a chance.

"Well, I've never seen Florence so fond of someone, so sure. I'm sure you have good intensions."

"I'm Tasha, by the way. You are?" 

"Call me, Sarah," she winked, knowing she didn't want me to call her with a 'Miss' or 'Misses".

"Do you know about a missing 18 year old guy, named Dylan Cooper...five years ago?"

She squinched her forehead and suddenly her eyes opened as if she reclaimed back her memory, "I knew his grandfather. That poor old man, losing his grandson like that. I heard the news. It was in the newspapers..." Sarah trailed off.

"Do you have a copy of the news?" I hoped.

"I'm not sure...it was five years ago. But my husband may know. He's quite a hoarder, you know? Maybe he has some old newspapers from five years ago."

"I really don't want to ruin your...vacation... if I am... Dylan was a really close friend of mine, and ever since I left, he went missing," I tried to explain.

"I understand, darling. I can't recall what happened, but I will see what I can do. Where are you staying?"

I walked to the end of the wooden plank where we started and pointed at the cottage in front of the beach, with a swing in front of it. 

Oh I remembered that swing...

"We're actually leaving back to our ""other side"" tonight. Maybe you'd like to stay with us for awhile and we could find that news copy of yours?" she offered. 

I was grateful I could have met someone like Sarah. She was so generous and kind. I really need to thank her in some way. 

I smiled at her and nodded, "I would love to, thank you."

I gave her my phone number and said she would call me to tell me when they were leaving. In the meantime, since it was in the afternoon, I walked to the cafe Dylan, Rose and I used to have breakfast or lunch. 

Oh I remembered the coffee moment. I remembered the time Dylan told me that Rose really loved him and that I was right all alone. Everything was coming back to me and now I was stuck in my memories. Stuck in my past and this was what I was afraid of. Not being able to move on from the past. 

I sat down beside the window and opened up the book Dylan gave to me five years ago. My story was completed but I opened to the first page again where Dylan's words were still clearly there. 

"Oh, I miss you so much, Dylan..." I teared up and looked back at all our pictures, "I will have you back right?" I spoke to myself, trying so hard not to sob in front of everybody. I needed him back… I couldn’t live my life knowing he was lost because of me, because I left.

 "I'm so sorry I left."

xxx

Next Chapter Coming soon!