Chapter 29

It was the morning after the full moon, and everyone had gone to the Ocean Café to meet Veridia, Josh, Gareth and Matteo went too.

Veridia kept on congratulating everyone on their victory. Aquata, Sirena's older sister came too. Aquata had never been human before, so she was constantly leaning on her younger sister for support.

"Mako Pod can't thank you enough," Veridia said. "Once again, you have defeat Erik."

"What will happen to Erik?" Cleo asked. "What happens if he comes back?"

Aquata smiled, putting her arm around her sister. "Don't worry, we're making sure that Erik will never come back."

*****

Are you serious?!" Erik yelled angrily. "You can't keep me here!"

"We can, and we will," one of the mermaids said, locking up the cage with a brass key.

"I command you to release me at once!" Erik shouted, banging on the bars of the cage. "Do it, or I'll use my magic!"

"You will use your magic in a magic-proof cage?" The second mermaid laughed. "I'd like to see that happen!"

"How long do you expect me to be in here?!" Erik asked angrily.

"As long as you need to be."

*****

"What about Charlotte and Dr Denman?" Nixie asked.

Veridia smiled. "We took care of them too."

*****

"This isn't very good," Dr Denman said, on her boat as she examined her finger, where the moon ring had been before the mermaids forced both the girls to give them back.

"Why?" Charlotte asked.

Dr Denman shook her head. "Now Erik is gone, what do we do?"

"We do what the mermaids said," Charlotte said. "We leave Mako Island and never return unless we want to 'face the consequences'."

Dr Denman turned to face Charlotte. "Have you ever been to Portugal?"

Charlotte shook her head.

Dr Denman grinned. "You should, it is amazing! So unique, there's a lot of fish... I'll show you!"

"I can hardly wait," Charlotte muttered sarcastically.

*****

"I'm glad to have my moon ring back," Nixie said, slipping the ring on her finger.

Weilan nodded as she examined hers. "Me too."

"We owe a lot to you," Veridia said. "When the mermaids were ready to leave, it was all of you who stayed to fight. You risked everything."

"Don't worry about it," Zac said casually.

Veridia turned to face Mabel, Josh, Gareth and Matteo. Josh and Mabel were holding hands.

"And we owe a thanks to your four as well," Veridia said. "It was you four who helped save Mako. If it weren't for you four, Erik would have probably won."

"We realised what we were doing were wrong," Gareth said.

Josh nodded. "Yes, we were hurting those who people loved and cared about." Josh looked at Mabel, who smiled back.

"And Josh, we appreciate that you broke your necklace, a gift from your parents."

Josh shrugged, but he didn't looked pleased. "It was what had to be done."

"Here," Veridia held out her hand. There was a silver trident necklace in her hand, but it didn't have a moon stone. "I'm sorry it isn't the same."

Josh took it, and held it in his hand. "... It's perfect," he said. He looked up at Veridia. "Thank you." Josh allowed Mabel to fasten the necklace around his neck.

Veridia then produced more trident necklaces and had Sirena and Aquata hand one of Gareth, Matteo and Zac.

"They aren't magical, Aquata said. "But the girls get rings, so I thought you boys should get something too. Oh, which reminds me..."

Veridia held out a moon ring and presented it to Mabel.

"For you, my dear."

Mabel looked startled. "M- me?!"

"If it weren't for your bravery to leave Erik and find Rita, we wouldn't have known what Erik's true plans were," Ondina said.

Mabel was surprised as she accepted her ring and slipped it on her finger.

"How long are you boys planning on living at Mako?" Veridia asked the mermen.

"I will have to go," Matteo said. "I must make sure my mother is safe and well."

Gareth nodded. "I'll have to get home too," Gareth said. "I bet my parents will be worried about me."

"So will my Dad," Mabel said. "Josh, you'll have to take me home."

"We all best be going too," Lewis said to Cleo, Emma, Rikki, Bella and Will, who nodded in agreement.

"Come back and visit us anytime," Rita told them.

"Here," David said behind the counter. "All of you come and get a smoothie for your journey... On the house."

Cleo, Emma, Rikki, Bella, Lewis, Will, Josh, Gareth, Matteo and Mabel all took one of the fruit smoothie cups, thanking David for his generosity.

Hugs and handshakes were given, and everyone began to head their separate ways.

"How should we celebrate our victory?" Zac asked his friends.

"A movie?" Evie suggested.

"Food?" Cameron asked.

"We could go welcome the other mermaids back home?" Lyla said.

"I'll do anything as long as I can get back into the ocean," Aquata said, almost falling over.

Cameron prepared his boat for him, Carly, Evie and David, and all the mermaids and Zac got ready to swim.

"Last one there is a rotten egg," Sirena said.

"A what?" Aquata asked confusedly.

"Let's all jump after three," Mimmi suggested. "One - "

"THREE!!" Nixie yelled, pushing Weilan and Lyla in the ocean before jumping in herself.

"Wait, I - oh what the heck?!" Mimmi laughed, diving into the ocean too.

Everyone dived into the ocean too, and they all swam to Mako Island, ready to welcome their friends home.

___The End___