Chapter 24

"I'm sorry," Carly said to her phone. "But I don't know where Evie is... The last time I saw her was yesterday morning... Yes, I'll ask Zac... Okay, thank you, bye."

Carly hung up and stared at her phone for a few moments, before slipping it into her back pocket and wiping the counter of the Ocean Café. Cameron, who was looking at his phone, walked towards her.

"What's up?" He asked.

Carly shrugged, looking uneasy. "Evie's Dad just phoned me, Evie never went home last night."

Cameron narrowed his eyebrows with confusion. "Are you serious?"

Carly nodded. "Where could she have gone?"

Cameron thought for a moment. "You don't think Erik..."

"Why would will kidnap Evie?" Carly asked.

Cameron shrugged. "Why wouldn't he? He'll do anything to make Zac lose, with the full moon approaching."

"What use would a land-girl be to Erik? He had no use for Mabel."

"But Mabel's a mermaid," Cameron reminded Carly.

"But Erik didn't know that," Carly reminded her boyfriend.

David and Sirena entered the café through the storage cupboard, after they had taken the box of knives and forks and spoons into the cupboard to keep them safe until morning.

"What's going on?" David asked.

"Evie is missing," Carly said.

"What do you mean?" Sirena questioned Carly.

"I mean, she didn't go home last night," Carly said. "Evie's Dad phoned me up a few moments ago."

"But, Evie wouldn't just leave - " Sirena began.

" - Unless Erik had something to do with it, " David finished.

As if on cue, Zac entered the café. He had a slight spring in his step, and he smiled.

"Great news! Nixie and Weilan replied, and they've told us their location! I'm heading over to Rita's now, and me, Ondina, Mimmi and Lyla are heading out there."

"Why didn't you invite me?" Sirena asked, looking and sounding hurt.

Zac didn't answer this. Instead, he looked around the café. "Wait, where's Evie?" He asked.

"She's gone missing," Cameron sighed. "She didn't go home last night."

Zac looked at his best friend, looking confused, and deep in thought. Eventually his eyes widened with horror, and he whipped his phone out of his pocket, typed in a phone number, and held it to his ear.

"Hello? Yes... It's me... Evie's fine, she didn't feel well last night, so she spent the night at my house... Yeah... She slept in the spare room... She's okay... I'll let you know... There's nothing to worry about... Yes, thanks... Talk to you soon."

Zac hung up, and exhaled deeply.

"What was all that?" David asked, nodding to Zac's phone.

"I called Evie's Dad," Zac replied, putting his phone away. "I remember Mabel said something about Erik's plan: Erik had something to do, which would make me surrender so he could activate the Chamber... She didn't know what it was, but now I realise that it's taking Evie! We have to act fast, I need to talk to Erik."

Cameron looked out of the window. "That's funny," he said absentmindedly. "I spoke to Erik the other day."

Everyone stopped what they were doing, and slowly turned their heads in unison to look at Cameron. Cameron turned to face everybody.