Chapter 23

Mabel began to reveal Erik's plan. She knew that he planned on making all the mermaids - both land-girl and real - lose their mermaid tails and powers, and force them to live on land. The trident necklace would absorb all the mermaid's power, and the necklace would be used to round up every single mermen. Mabel had overheard Erik and Charlotte discussing these plans a few days before, and she knew that he planned on telling the others once the final parts of his plan had been finalised.

"And you don't know anything else?" Zac asked.

Mabel shook her head. "No, I'm sorry, well, I know that he is planning on doing something to make you have to surrender, but I don't know what that is."

Zac patted her on the shoulder. "That's okay."

Zac and everyone else left Mabel to get some rest, and Rita headed out again.

"So it's even worse then we thought," Ondina said, folding her arms. "We thought Erik just wanted us away from Mako..."

Lyla bit her lip nervously. "Instead he wants to harm all mermaids, land-girls too."

"But how do we know she's telling the truth?" Ondina asked suddenly. "What if this is part of Erik's plan?"

"Mabel's a mermaid, she wouldn't be working for Erik when he plans on activating the Chamber," Mimmi replied.

"What do we do?" Sirena said.

"Erik can't activate the Chamber until the full moon," Zac reminded them. "Until then, we have no idea about how whereabouts, out what he plans next. Maybe we can't do anything."

'We have to do something!!" Ondina cried. 'We can't let Erik do this!"

"I have an idea," Mimmi said. "I will send a message to Nixie and Weilan again, and tell them to try contacting us to tell us where there location is. I know a simple spell they can use. Then we can go to where they are and fight back!"

Lyla nodded. "But we have to be quick, we're running out of time! The full moon is approaching."

"But not for another three weeks," Ondina reminded her friend.

"And Nixie and Weilan have been held hostage by Erik for over two months! We have no idea what could have happened to them in that time," Sirena said sadly. "Especially since I was unable to find them..."

"That wasn't your fault," Zac said. "We should have fought Erik then."

"That reminds me," Ondina said. "Why didn't he activate the Chamber that night?"

"We can only guess," Mimmi said. "Come on, we need to act now. I'll prepare the potion for Nixie and Weilan, and you guys should go and look for the boat."

"Don't you have to meet Chris today?" Zac asked his sister.

Mimmi shook her head. "I cancelled, I'm devoting all my time and energy on defeat Erik."

Zac paused. "But..."

"Zac," Mimmi sighed. "I know that you told Chris to keep me away from Mako, and the rest of you so I wouldn't get hurt. As much as I appreciate your love and concern over me, I don't need your protection. I know that my time will be best spent here, with you, doing what I do best: saving Mako Island. Now let's go. Come on, chop chop!!"

*****

As the day drew to a close, Evie was walking alone on the beach. She and Zac were supposed to be watching a movie that evening, but he was spending the night at Rita's house, so that he could spend the next day with the mermaids. Mimmi's new letter had been sent to Nixie and Weilan, containing a simple spell. They had managed to reply, and said that they were unaware of their current location, as the boat was in movement.