Chapter 19

Ondina, Mimmi, Lyla and Sirena spent the next two days practising their magic, and strengthening their powers. They practised levitating, stunning, disappearing and summoning objects.

They worked hard each day and night, and Rita helped them whenever she could. Veridia even came.

"Concentrate," Veridia said.

Ondina twitched. "Well maybe I could if you didn't keep talking."

Ondina was levitating three rare and valuable vases at the same time. And if that wasn't difficult enough, Veridia had instructed Sirena to sit right underneath them!

"You never know," Veridia said to Ondina. "One of your friends may be in great danger, and in order to save them you may need to lift a huge object in order to free them!"

Ondina sighed wistfully. Her arm was aching.

"I have an idea," Sirena said, raising her hand timidly. "How about we all just stick together as one big group when we go to defeat Erik?"

Ondina pointed at Sirena with her free hand and looked at Veridia. "That is a great idea!"

"Including Erik, there are seven people in his team, and they can easily spilt off into groups. We must train to do the same, or even work independently. Besides, some of you will have to go and find Nixie and Weilan."

Mimmi looked up from the spell book she was reading. "I have an idea," she said. "I know a way we can contact them."

"Contact Nixie and Weilan?" Lyla asked. Then she threw her arms in the air. "And you've only thing to tell us this now?!"

"It's an ancient potion, created by the Northern Pod centuries ago," Mimmi continued as if Lyla hadn't even opened her mouth.

"Aren't most Northern Pod spells dangerous?" Sirena asked, eyeing the vases just above her head.

Mimmi gave a sly smile and shrugged. "They can be..."

Veridia helped Ondina lower the vases above Sirena, before turning to Mimmi. "Tell us."

"We need to make a potion first," Mimmi said, "but then we can write a note on the piece of paper and pop it into the pot. Then the note travels to whoever we want to send it to, and it appears right in front of them!"

Everyone agreed that this was a good idea. Mimmi - thankfully - remembered all the ingredients, which they were able to find in Rita's grotto. The ingredients included blue coral cut up into small chunks; seahorse scales diced and dashed; seaweed sliced into thin slithers; and a pinch of sea salt from the Mediterranean.

Whilst Mimmi, Veridia and Sirena collected the ingredients and made the potion, Lyla and Ondina were instructed to write the note to their friends.

It was a simple message:

Nixie! Weilan! This is Lyla and Ondina.
Mimmi created a special potion so we could send this message to you. But it can only go one way. So listen carefully... Or read carefully, and then hide this message so Erik or one of the others don't find it... On the night of the full moon we will be heading to the Merman Chamber to stop Erik. We've been practising or magic. But we're sending Sirena to come find you. Make sure you're ready!

The note was finished, and Mimmi rolled it up. She was about to place it in the pot, when she paused.

"Oh no.. I've forgotten something... We need an object of Nixie's and Weilan's, so the message gets to them..."

Lyla picked up Weilan's school bag and rummaged through it. "Well, here's one of Weilan's pencils," Lyla said, picking it out of her pencil case.

Ondina ran upstairs into Rita's house, and then returned moments later with a half eaten lobster. "And this is Nixie's. Will a lobster work?"