Chapter 17

Cameron ran into the café as fast as he could, his phone tightly gasped in his hand. He stumbled a little bit, but caught his balance as he headed to the counter. He skidded to a halt when he arrived, and Carly raised her eyebrows at him, but chose not to question her boyfriend.

"Have you seen Weilan?" He panted.

"Weilan?" Carly repeated, casting her mind back. "I saw her yesterday. She came in here and bought a juice, and then she headed out for a swim. But that was the last time I saw her. Why?"

"It's her turn to watch my laptop for footage," Cameron replied.  Cameron held up his phone. "Zac, she isn't here."

Zac's voice came from the loud speaker. "Really? Oh no... Something bad must have happened."

Sirena jumped off the stage and headed over to Carly and Cameron.

"What's going on?" She asked.

"Weilan has now gone missing," Carly sighed.

Sirena wasn't happy, and it was Sirena's job to keep the peace, and make sure everyone else was happy...

"Right..." Sirena gritted her teeth as she stormed out the café, receiving curious and worried looks from Cameron and Carly.

Sirena headed out to the dock. She checked to make sure nobody was looking, and then she dived smoothly into the ocean.

Sirena swam to Mako Island. She managed to pull herself onto the beach and steam dry her tail.

When she had legs, Sirena stood up and began to trek through the forest, looking for signs of life from another human, or mermaid, or merman.

Sirena made a small breakthrough when she spotted a trail of of large shoe prints in the mud, which she followed, to find a small pile of shells.

Sirena smiled. She remembered Lyla's and Weilan's plan to leave a trail of shells in hope that a merman would find them and follow them up to the waterfall.

Sirena followed the trail of shells, and after two minutes she saw the merman, lying on the rocks as he steam dried his tail.

This was the third merman Sirena had ever seen - the first was Zac, and the second was Erik. Sirena crouched behind a tree as she watched the merman, who was now scanning his surroundings.

Sirena held out her hand with her moon ring, and she slipped out of the shadows into the broad daylight, just as the merman's legs appeared.

"Who are you, and what do you want?" Sirena cried, sounding much more beaver then she felt.

The Merman turned to face her, and greeted her with a warm smile. "Hi, my name's Josh, nice to meet you."

The first thing Sirena noticed about him was the trident necklace around his neck. As soon as Sirena saw it, her felt weak, and her legs began to shake. So she looked back to Josh's eyes.

"Don't act innocent," Sirena said, less confidently now. "I know you're a merman, what are you doing on Mako?"

Josh looked at Sirena's outstretched hand. "Ahh, a moon ring... You're a mermaid? And, well, I thought it was obvious what I'm doing on Mako... I'm trying to take Mako back for the mermen!"

Sirena's face drained of colour, and she suddenly became scared. "Listen, I don't want to fight you," she said. "But what you're doing isn't right..."

"What if what you're doing isn't right?" Josh said, ascending down the rocks and towards Sirena. "Your kind stole Mako from the mermen centuries ago, and now we're finally making a stand, and claiming it back." Josh reached Sirena. He gave a small smile.