Chapter 22

"My plan is fool proof!!" Erik smirked as he hovered over Dr Denman, who was typing away on her computer. "Linda, this is going to work, I can feel it!"

"It's Dr Denman, to you," Dr Denman repeated for the tenth time that day. "Also, please stop looking at me whilst I work; I may be helping you with your 'top secret work', but I still need to do my Marine Biologist work too."

Erik stood back and held up his hands like he was surrendering. "Okay, sorry, Linda."

Erik headed out to the deck, where Charlotte and Josh were. Josh was looking out to sea, one hand absentmindedly fiddling with his trident necklace, and Charlotte was admiring her moon ring, and levitating one of Gareth's action figures.

"I can't believe that mermaids have to train for years to be able to fully control their moon rings," Charlotte said to nobody in particular. Then she looked up and noticed Erik. For the first thing in six months, she gave him a warm hearted smile. "Hey! What's up, Fish-Boy?!" She cried happily.

Erik tried to stifle his laugh as he made his way over to his gang.

"How is everyone this glorious morning?" Erik asked, putting his hands on his waist and inhaling deeply through his nose.

"Very well, thanks," Charlotte nodded.

"Where's Matteo and Gareth?"

"Gareth's watching Nixie and Weilan, and Matteo went for a swim. He is looking for a new place for us to move the boat."

Erik nodded, and then turned to face Josh. "And how are you?"

Josh just shrugged.

"What's on your mind?" Erik asked Josh.

Josh sighed. "I'm worried about Mabel."

Erik groaned and rolled his eyes. "Why? She'll come back. I mean, she wasn't any use to us, she's only a land-girl!"

Charlotte jerked her head in Erik's direction and snarled. "Hey!"

Erik rolled his eyes. "Get lost, Charlotte."

Charlotte scoffed. "Charming," she says sarcastically. "Now I can see why Ondina broke up with you."

And then Charlotte hurried inside the boat.

Josh looked at Erik. "I promised her Dad that I'd look after Mabel... And now she's run off! It's been three days since the full moon! Where could she be? What is she hasn't been sleeping, or eating - "

"Mabel will be fine," Erik reassured Josh, even though he couldn't care less what happened to her.

"What if Zac finds her and forces her to answer questions about us and our plan?" Josh continued.

Erik caught his breath. "Actually, that may be a problem..."

"Well, we need to find her, or activate the Chamber," Josh said. "We need those mermaids away from Mako."

Erik nodded. "You go find Matteo, and I'll round up Charlotte, Linda and Gareth. I'll tell you the full version of my plan..."

*****

"I like us all working as a team," Matteo smiled. "Es muy emotionante."

"We aren't working as a team," Erik said. "You're all working for me. Also, stop speaking Spanish, nobody understands what you're saying."

"Ahh, sorry," Matteo nodded, trying not to look hurt.

"So tell us the plan," Gareth said, as he examined the collectable figurine Charlotte had been using her magic on an hour before.