Chapter 28

When Zac and the others reached the Chamber, they were angry and disappointed to find that Erik, Josh, Charlotte and Dr Denman were already there. But they hadn't done anything yet... It was almost as if Erik had been waiting for Zac to arrive.

Charlotte and Dr Denman were holding water bottles, and Josh's fingers were fiddling with the Trident necklace around his neck.

"Zac, Ondina," Erik addressed them two personally. "It's nice to see you again! And look, you brought along your little armature mermaid friends... Cleo, Emma and Bella... Delightful."

"Erik, now would normally be the time when we say we don't want to fight you, and that we can discuss this in a less-violent way," Ondina began. "... But not tonight. Tonight, we will fight for Mako."

Erik looked quite pleased. "Good, I was thinking maybe we should fight. It would be more dramatic... Unfortunately I don't think we will have time... As you can see, the full moon has already ascended over Mako's mountain... Look."

Zac and his friends risked looking up to the ceiling of the Merman Chamber. There they could see a projection of the star-full night sky, with the full moon just peeping into the projection.

"So, sorry," Erik said. "But you're too late."

Whilst Erik was speaking, nobody noticed Mabel sneaking around the Chamber, in order to get to the pedestal. Then she slowly crept forwards in order to reach Erik. Dr Denman turned her head slightly. It wasn't much, but it was just enough for her to see Mabel.

"Erik, look out!" She cried, holding the water bottle out at Mabel and squirting water on her pink shirt. Mabel fell to the ground, her bright orange tail flapping uncontrollably.

Josh's eyes widened. "Mabel!?" He whispered, a tone of shock in his voice as he eyed her tail.

Mabel opened her mouth, but no sound came out, so Cleo spoke up.

"Mako Island doesn't belong to you, Erik," she said loudly. "It belongs to the mermaids."

"But not for long," Erik said. "Girls, now!!"

Suddenly, Dr Denman and Charlotte used their moon rings in order to make the water from their water bottles fly out of the top and all around the room. This created a distraction. Cleo, Bella and Sirena were hit with water almost immediately, and fell just like Mabel did.

Emma held out her ring and managed to turn the water into ice. The ice fell to the floor. However, Charlotte simply made more water fly around the back of Emma, and it splashed her back.

Zac had performed an ancient Chinese spell, taught to him by Weilan. This trick caused the spell to counteract. So the water coming towards him simply spun around and raced back to Charlotte and Dr Denman. Charlotte and Dr Denman were hit with water, but all it did was baffle them for a few short moments.

Ondina and Lyla used their magic to evaporate the water in their bottles, and began to help the mermaids on the floor steam dry their tails.

"The time has come," Erik turned to face Josh. "Give me your necklace."

"What?" Josh asked.

Erik held out his hand. "I said give me your necklace." Erik's tone was the exact opposite of friendly. Josh had no other choice but to take off his trident necklace and hand it to Erik.

Erik held it clasped in his hand as he made his way to the pedestal. Zac tried to push Erik over in order to try snatch the necklace. However, Erik waved his hand, and his magic caused Zac to fly across the room and land in a crumple, groaning in pain and agony.