Chapter 15

"So Erik had already been in the Merman Chamber?" Evie asked Zac the next day, as she organised the summer dresses on one of the racks in her little shop.

Zac nodded. "I felt a strange power in the Chamber, like the magic of the trident stone, and in the vision I had with Mimmi, there was a necklace is a trident... Erik, Charlotte, Dr Denman and their gang of mermen are even more prepared then we first thought."

"And it doesn't help when they kept moving location," Evie agreed. She paused in her actions, as she thought. "... Is there a way for you to summon mermen? Maybe you should try contacting him."

"And then what? Invite him into my bungalow for tea and biscuits?!" Zac asked, irritation in his voice.

Evie turned he back to him. "It was only a suggestion," she huffed.

Zac sighed unhappily. "Evie, I'm sorry, I'm just stressed out - "

"We all are Zac!" Evie cried, turning around. "David keeps panicking over Sirena's safety; Chris won't let Mimmi out of his sight anymore; and you're busy trying to save Mako and the mermaids, whilst I'm stuck here knowing that I can't help you in any way!"

"I'm not only protecting the mermaids," Zac replied calmly. "I'm also protecting you, and Cam, and my parents, and everyone else I care about. If Erik takes over Mako for himself, who knows what else he could do?! And we still don't even know what these other mermen look like, so we can't search for them, or talk to them! Evie, what can I do?"

Evie sighed, tears slowly forming in her eyes. "I don't Zac, I just don't know..."

*****

Cameron was busy finishing off the last bite of his sandwich in Zac's bungalow. He had spent the last three hours staring at the screen of his laptop, waiting for signs of life to be transported from the underwater cameras to his screen. For Cameron, this was hard work!

"I'm bored," Sirena sighed wistfully, looking out of the window. "I wish I could be out looking for Nixie... It's been almost a week since she disappeared!"

"We will find her," Cameron said, not taking his eyes off the computer screen. "I promise."

Sirena turned to face Cameron. "When did you say you had to go to work?"

Cameron had a part time job of being a lifeguard at the beech. It was the only element of his life that he tended to take seriously... Unless his fish-friends were in danger.

Just then Zac's Dad walked in. He was a short man, with dark skin and black hair. He was wearing a blue shirt and white jeans.

"Zac, I - " Zac's Dad began, entering the bungalow. Then he looked up, and saw Cameron and Sirena. "Cameron... What are you doing here?"

"Um, Zac and I are working on a school project together," Cameron lied.

"And where is Zac?"

"He went out," Cameron replied truthfully. "He won't be back for a couple of hours."

"He's been out all morning," Zac's Dad commented. "How for you get in here?"

"I used my key," Cameron answered.

"But... You don't have a key..."

"I had one made," Cameron said, as if this was a completely ordinary thing to do.

Zac's Dad blinked. "Why am I not surprised? Look, when Zac gets back, just tell him that we're clearing out the attic, and found some of his old stuff."