Chapter 2

Mako Island was the home of the southern Pod of mermaids. Mako Island was a small, beautiful place, even though there were a few dangers, like snakes and mosquitoes, and the were several shark territories around the island. The whole of the island was covered in forest; large trees, lots of shrubs and bushes dotted here and there, and beautiful golden sand by the beach. The main feature of the island was the volcano. The volcano stood slightly to the right of the island, and it stood tall and proud.

But the volcano was not a threat. The volcano was an 'Extinct Volcano', which means it had been unable to erupted for thousands of years. Because of this, the inside of the volcano was hollow, and at the bottom there was a huge pool of water, which the mermaids called 'The Moon Pool', and they call it this, because if you lay on your back floating in the water and looked up; you'd be able to see the moon passing by the volcano in the sky.

In the Moon Pool one glorious summer morning, Mimmi was laid on her back in the bright blue water, gazing up the volcano and looking at the clear blue sky.

Mimmi was a mermaid. She had dark skin and brown eyes and hair and a beautiful orange tail. Mimmi was originally from the Northern Pod, but had moved to the Mako Pod as a hatching.

Mimmi was enjoying the bliss of quiet and relaxation, when she heard a splash by the entrance of the Moon Pool. She turned her head to look, and there was her best friend Ondina entering the Moon Pool with Lyla, another mermaid.

Both these mermaids had blue eyes and blonde hair, but Ondina's hair was more frizzy and Lyla's was always in a pony tail with a thin plait like a headband.

"Stop being so bossy," Lyla told Ondina.

Ondina scoffed. "Me? Bossy? I'm simply pointing out why I'm correct."

"What's going on?" Mimmi asked.

Lyla turned to face Mimmi. "Ondina thinks - "

"Don't tell her!" Ondina cried.

"Why not?" Lyla asked.

"Because she'll just take your side," Ondina grumbled.

"What's going on?" Mimmi asked again as calmly as she could.

"Ondina thinks we should stop the search for Erik," Lyla explained.

Mimmi's eyes widened with shock and she turned to face Ondina. "Why?!"

Ondina sighed. "Because it's been six months since the battle in the Merman Chamber. Six months. The large moon stone was destroyed, Zac closed down the Chamber, and the new moon rings have even more power in them so it would be magically and physically impossible for him to take them... Erik has obviously retreated to land," Ondina trailed off.

"But the Mermaid Council need to find him," Mimmi reminded her best friend. "Then they can keep track of his actions in case he tries to strike again."

"But he won't," Ondina persisted. "He's failed at taking over Mako twice now."

"Well what about Charlotte and Dr Denman," Lyla added. "We need to find them."

Ondina sighed once more. She knew that maybe she wouldn't win this argument after all...

Just then another person entered the Moon Pool. It was the merman Zac, Mimmi's brother.

He had brown skin and brown eyes, and black hair. He splashed his blue tail before his face emerged. He swam over to the rocks next to Mimmi.

"Hi Mimmi," he addressed her, before he turned to the others. "Hi, guys. What's up?"