Chapter 10

'It's the full moon tonight," Evie said casually to Zac as they walked down the beach together.

Zac sighed. "Don't remind me."

"Is something wrong?' Evie asked him.

Zac shrugged. "It's just that Ondina is worried that - because Erik is returning - that the Merman Chamber will start calling to me again."

A long while ago, Zac had a special connection to the Merman Chamber on Mako. It was as if the Chamber could talk to him. Every full moon, the Chamber called out to Zac, and Zac would always be tempted to go. Thankfully, ever since they defeated Erik, Zac hadn't received any callings.

"I thought you stopped having those," Evie commented.

"I did, but Ondina is just being worried. I think she's still unhappy with her breakup with Erik."

"It's too bad," Evie sighed wistfully as they headed up the beach, off the golden sand and onto the pavement. "Ondina and Erik were a lovely couple."

Zac nodded, even though he didn't agree. He checked his watch. "The full moon rises in thirty minutes... I'll have to get home."

"Do you need me to come with you?" Evie asked.

Zac shook his head. "No, thanks... Aren't you going scuba diving with your Dad tomorrow? I don't want you to miss that."

"I'll cancel," Evie said to Zac immediately.

Zac gave smile and small laugh. "It's okay. Mimmi and Cameron are coming over to my bungalow tonight. We're just going to watch films."

Evie nodded. "Okay, text me?"

Zac nodded. "Of course."

*****

"Why is the full moon so important?" Chris asked Mimmi as they left the Marina together.

"Us mermaids can power our moon rings using the light and energy of the moon," Mimmi replied, holding out her hand, showing Chris her moon ring.

Chris nodded. "But, for Zac it isn't a good thing?"

Mimmi shrugged. "We don't know. The full moon used to affect him, but he hasn't been affected for a while. Ondina is just taking precautions."

"Well, is there anything I can do to help?" Chris asked.

Mimmi gave a sly smile. "Actually, yes. You could go watch Zac tonight with Cameron, if you like?"

"All night?" Chris raised an eyebrow.

Mimmi nodded. "I was going to, but if I'm not in the Moon Pool when the moon rises over Mako, my ring won't receive the maximum amount of energy it can. And I think I'll need all the power I can find for these upcoming days fighting against Erik."

Chris slowly nodded. "Okay... But what do I do if Zac starts going crazy?"

Mimmi shrugged. "Knock him out?"

Chris nodded, more eagerly this time. "I think I can manage that."

"If it comes to the worst, you can go get Rita," Mimmi told him.

"What do you mean, worse?" Chris asked Mimmi.

"Got to go now, bye!!" Mimmi cried hurriedly, and running down the path and jumping into the ocean.