Chapter 20

It was the night of the full moon, and Erik and his gang were busy preparing for their trip to the Merman Chamber.

Dr Denman was bringing her notebooks full of sketches and notes of the Merman Chamber, as well as Nixie's ring on her finger; Charlotte was taking nothing but a look of determination and Weilan's ring; Gareth was working on his laptop (with a secret task set by Erik); Matteo had packed for and drinks; Josh was practising his magic using his necklace; and Erik was coaching Josh. Mabel was pacing around the deck, fidgeting, and biting her pink false nails.

After about two hours, everyone was ready to go.

Erik had securely locked Weilan and Nixie inside the bedroom of the boat, and enchanted the door so they couldn't open it.

Then the boat was docked on the beach of Mako Island. Erik lead the way across the beach, through the forest, and to the volcano.

Erik suddenly turned around to face Charlotte. "You lead the way," he told her. "I want to take Josh and Matteo to the Moon Pool."

"What if there are mermaids there, Fish-Boy?" Charlotte hissed.

"Most of the mermaids are long gone, and I still remember that there is a land entrance from last time, when I stole their moon rings in the middle of the night. Besides, I think three mermen can handle a couple of mermaids."

At the word 'mermaids', Mabel shuddered, nervously swallowed, and excused herself, heading in the opposite direction.

"What's wrong with her?" Dr Denman asked.

"I'll go see," Josh answered.

Josh began to follow Mabel, but Erik stopped him.

"No, I need you to come to the Moon Pool." Erik waved his hand carelessly. "Besides, Mabel was no use to this group anyway."

Josh looked angry, and clenched his fists, but he forced himself to remain calm.

Erik turned back to Charlotte. "So will you take Gareth and Linda to the merman Chamber? By the time you get there, the full moon should just be rising, and the entrance in the rock will open."

"It's Dr Denman to you," Dr Denman muttered.

Charlotte sighed at Erik. "Fine, and you go to the Moon Pool. Just don't blame me if you get turned into sushi."

*****

Meanwhile, on the boat, Nixie and Weilan were struggling to her the door open. Weilan had repeated banged both her fists on the door, Nixie had tried pulling the handle off, Weilan had tried to use a paper clip to unlock the door, and Nixie had attempted to break the tiny window at the top of the door.

Finally, after much frustration, Nixie had sat herself down on one of the beds, and Weilan folded her arms and glared at the door.

Weilan then held her hands out, palms down, and slowly raised her arms upwards, before bending her elbows slightly and turning her palms to face the door. She then pushed her hands forwards, but nothing happened.

"What was that?" Nixie asked. "Were you dancing?"

Weilan glared at Nixie. "No. That was Eastern Pod magic: that was the the magic gesture used to open things. Unfortunately, it didn't work."

Nixie smiled to herself, and then gave a small laugh. "I've had my moon ring for so long, I forgot that we had magic without them."