Chapter 11

"That's Mako Island?" Matteo asked, pointing to the island in the distance. "¡Pero es muy pequeño!"

It was the day after the full moon, and Erik and his friends were almost at Mako Island.

"Yeah, that's Mako," Erik grinned. "The soon-to-be home of all mermen."

"It will take us at least three hours to get there," Dr Denman told the boys. "Erik, can you use your magic to speed things up?"

Erik nodded. "But let's take a break first, I'm starving."

Gareth, who was playing a game on his laptop, looked up. "So what's your plan?" He asked Erik.

"We're going to defeat the mermaids and force them to live on land," Erik said.

"Yes, but how?" Gareth asked.

Erik thought for a moment. "Well... There is a group of mermaids who have saved Mako many times before. If we target those mermaids, and we succeed, then the other mermaids will have no choice but to follow them on land."

"And if we don't succeed?" Gareth asked.

Erik rolled his eyes. "Why are you so negative?"

"I'm not negative, I'm logical," Gareth said, shrugging.

"What about holding their human friends hostage, and telling the mermaids that we'll only let them go if they give Mako up?" Charlotte suggested.

"That would just take too much time," Erik said.

Charlotte groaned. "Well, I haven't seen you suggesting anything, Fish-Boy."

"I'm the one who suggested that we find some mermen!" Erik cried defensively. 

"Guys, don't shout," Josh said. "Mabel's asleep."

Charlotte sighed. "Why didn't Mabel tell us she gets seasick?"

"She didn't know," Josh said defensively. "She's never been on a boat before."

Suddenly, there was a large crash in the waves at the side of the boat.

Erik, Matteo and Josh went to look, and there, with their heads and arms popping up out of the water, were about thirty mermaids, from Mako Island.

"Erik, we warn you now," Veridia called. "Turn around, leave Mako, and never return."

"But I invited some friends over," Erik said, pretending to sound upset. "It would be rude to leave without showing them around the place... Should I start by showing them the Moon Pool, or the Merman Chamber?"

"You brought land-boys to Mako Island?" Veridia asked.

"No, three mermen."

Most of the mermaids looked unhappy and worried when Erik said 'mermen'. Erik couldn't help smiling.

The mermaids ducked their heads under the water, and Erik thought that they had retreated. But then there was a another crash on the other side of the boat, and Dr Denman's boat lurched, and everyone lost their balance, clinging to each other and the sides of the boat so they didn't fall.

"What's going on?!" Charlotte cried.

"The mermaids are attacking, duh!" Erik cried.

"They better not scratch the painting," Dr Denman muttered.

Without hesitating, Erik jumped over the side of the boat and into the sea, and Matteo followed him, adding in a fancy forward flip.

"Gareth, are you coming?" Josh asked.