Chapter Three|I Wanna Be Free

Phil

"I'm suffocating."

Dan nodded, and scribbled something in his notes Phil wished he could read. He was curious as to what Dan could possibly get from those two words that could lead to any sort of conclusion on Phil's state of mind.

He didn't even remember what it was like to be a 'normal' accepted member of society. He saw nothing wrong with him, but everyone else did. He knew everyone thought he was insane.

So, what could Dan have to say about his own words that Phil couldn't have told him himself?

"Why are you suffocating, Phil?" Dan asks quietly.

Phil pushes back the knowledge that Dan only cares about Phil's feelings because it is was his job. For some reason, the more he thinks about how Dan only talks to him because he has too, makes him angry.

Phil sighed, "The air around me seems to be running out. It's like I've already taken in so much of this place there's nothing to keep me feeling alive. I can't breathe."

Dan scribbled some more, "The only way you'll ever find your air again is if you find something new to help you breathe." he says genuinely.

"Like, what? There is nothing for me here, but white walls. Everything is a constant. The screams, the drugs, that goddamn squeaky cart. Even the lab coats seem to always be the same."

"Lab coats?"

Phil smirked, "You, and all of the other miracle workers." he answers sarcastically.

Dan nods, "I see."

Phil takes in a deep breath, "How am I supposed to find anything that is different to hold onto when I'm the main outcast in my own story?"

"You'll know what it is when your lungs feel as if they don't have to work so hard, and you heart feels at ease. It will come to you eventually."

Phil shook his head, "It's not that simple."

Dan put down his notepad, and leaned in close to Phil, so he can get his next words across with full meaning.

"Make it that simple."