Girl Meets Double Date

'Okay, Maya, wake up!' Riley practically shouted. It was the morning after their zip-lining adventure and the sun was just rising. She obviously wasn't considering the fact that other people were still asleep in the rooms next to theirs and could be woken up from the noise. Riley heard Maya mumble something as she pulled the sheets over her head. 'Maya!' Riley thought her friend answered something like, 'A girl's gotta sleep', but she wasn't sure. 'It's almost noon', Riley said in an attempt to get Maya out of bed. Maya threw the sheets off of her. 'What?!' She looked at the clock, which indicated it wouldn't be noon for a very long time. 'Riley, what do you think you're doing? It's five a.m.!' 'I'm sorry, but I just had this great idea and-' Maya groaned. A lot of nights, she somehow couldn't fall asleep, so when she did, she appreciated it and didn't want to be disturbed. 'God, Riley, what idea is so important you have to tell me now? Couldn't you wait for at least three more hours?' Riley sat down on her best friend's bed. 'I'm sorry. I just got a little carried away, I guess.' Maya lifted herself up. 'Yeah, I know, Peaches. It's okay. How about you tell me and then we both go back to sleep?' Riley nodded. A smile appeared on her face as she started sharing her idea with Maya. 'Prepare yourself for the best idea ever!' Maya didn't really look that impressed or enthusiastic. She was very sleepy, but she managed to keep her eyes open. Riley had had a lot of crazy ideas in her life, so this couldn't be much of a surprise to her. 'A double date! You, me, Lucas and Josh!' Riley exclaimed. Or maybe it could. 'Oh hell no', Maya said. She hadn't meant to respond that way, but Riley's ''awesome plan'' was probably the worst idea she'd ever heard. 'I'd rather get kicked by ballerina's with their pointy toes for two hours straight!' 'But-' ''No buts! I'm not going on a double date with you and Lucas!' 'Just for a while, after that, we'll split up! Believe me, I don't want to see you kissing my uncle.' Riley made a face. 'I said no!' Maya said.

Two hours later - one hundred and twenty minutes without sleep - Riley had finally convinced. 'Okay, great, you convinced me', Maya said, 'Now can we please go to sleep?' 'Um, it's already seven o'clock.' Maya let herself fall down on the bed. 'Don't care', she said, but her tone indicated she didn't like that her best friend had kept her awake for so long. 'I'm gonna go back to sleep.' As Maya climbed back under the covers, Riley said, 'I'm going to take a shower'. 'Oh no, not happening!' Maya exclaimed. She quickly stepped out of her bed and made a mad dash for the bathroom. She put her arms around Riley and dragged her back to her bed. 'You're going to bed and be quiet and let me sleep!'

That day, just before breakfast, Riley informed Lucas about her plan and Maya told Josh. 'I'm really sorry, but she made me agree to the date-thingy.' Josh shrugged. 'I don't mind.' 'You- You don't?' Maya asked, clearly surprised. This wasn't the reaction she'd been expecting. 'Nah. It will be fun.' 'Okay...' Maya said, still a little unsure. She and Josh were in Josh's bedroom. 'You don't seem too excited about it, though', Josh stated. 'It's kind of weird, don't you think?' 'It doesn't have to be.' Maya bit her lip, thinking. 'Hey, cheer up', Josh said. Maya still didn't look very happy. 'Don't make me do it', Josh warned. He took a step towards her and started tickling Maya. 'No!' she screamed, laughing. Soon, tears were rolling down her cheek from the giggling. 'Stop it! Stop!' she tried to say, but the laughter prevented her from it. 'You want me to stop? Not until you promise you won't stop smiling.' 'I won't', Maya said. 'You won't what?' 'I- I won't...' Maya couldn't stop laughing from the tickling. 'I won't look sad and I'll enjoy myself on the date.' At that moment, she tripped over one of Josh's shoes, which was lying on the floor, and fell down on his bed, pulling him with her. 'Aah!' she shouted while falling. If there ever was something like 'bad timing', it would've been then, because Cory entered the room, saying, 'Breakfast is ready, Josh'. His gaze fell on his brother, who was lying on the bed with... Maya? His eyes widened with shock. 'My eyes!' he screamed, covering them. 'My eyes! MY EYES!' He ran out of the room and bumped into the door, because, well... He couldn't see it. Maybe he shouldn't have covered his eyes. And he still hadn't recovered from the accident and was walking with a limp. Since previous night, he'd insisted on trying to walk without his crutches as much as possible, which was the most idiotic thing Maya had ever heard. She felt her cheeks redden as Cory disappeared from her sight and quickly sat up. 'Um, well, I-' she stuttered. She almost never didn't know what to say, but this clearly was one of those rare moments. 'Um, yeah, so... We should go downstairs, you know, for breakfast', Josh said, while smoothing his hair. 'Yeah. Yeah, we should... go', Maya replied. She rose from the bed and left the room, feeling a little confused. That was weird and really, really embarrassing, she thought.

After breakfast, she and Riley went to their room to prepare for the date. It had been awkward at the table with Cory glaring suspiciously at her and Josh. 'How about this?' Maya was interrupted from her thoughts when Riley stood before her with a pair of shorts and cute light blue shirt imprinted with little pink flowers. 'It would look great on you', Maya smiled at her. Riley returned the smile and then said, 'Now, we're going to find you something to wear!' Riley said enthusiastically, while clapping her hands. 'I actually was planning on wearing this outfit', Maya replied, while pointing at the pair of shorts and the red sweater she was wearing. 'No, no, no!' Riley protested. 'I mean, it's a nice outfit, but not for a date!' Maya shrugged. 'He should appreciate me the way I am, without me having to dress up for him.' Riley gave her a stern look. 'Yeah, and you should show him you made a point of doing something special for him.' Riley thought for a moment. 'Ooh, I know!' she said. 'I'm going to give you a make-over just like the one you gave me on my first date with Lucas!' She looked at Maya expectantly, who simply looked bored and unimpressed. 'No, Riles. Thanks, but I'm fine.' 'No buts', Riley said, imitating Maya from their conversation that morning. 'Ugh' was all Maya could say. 'I'll be right back', Riley called as she walked out of the room. 'Wait! Where are you going?' Maya asked, but Riley was already gone. 'Great', Maya said, 'Just great'. She sat down on one of the chairs and looked at her reflection in the mirror. With her long and wavy, blonde hair and blue eyes, she was pretty. But, she remarked, nothing special. Riley had been right. She hadn't even thought of putting make-up on for the date or wearing something special. Riley returned with a special guest. 'Meet your new personal stylist!' Riley announced. Maya looked at the person standing in front of her. She gave herself a mental face-palm. 'Auggie's gonna be my stylist?' She gave Riley a look to tell her she didn't agree, but Riley didn't get it. 'Isn't it great?' Riley said happily. Maya nodded. 'U-huh... Very, um, great.'

She hadn't expected much from the make-over. Okay, she had expected things. But they hadn't been good ones. That was why she was surprised when she looked in the mirror half an hour later and saw a total new Maya. 'Wow', she whispered. 'I know', Auggie said, while holding up his thumb. 'Well', he said, 'Now I'm tired of all the hard work. I'm going to take a nap.' Riley laughed. 'Thanks, Auggie', she said and she gave him a quick hug before he left to go to his own bedroom. Riley joined Maya and looked at her friend. 'You look really nice.' Maya nodded slowly, still not believing what she was seeing. Her blonde hair was combed to perfection and her eyelashes were curled so they looked longer. Her cheeks were tinted light pink and her lips were covered in a thin coat of lip gloss. She had on the pair of shorts she had already been wearing before the make-over, but was now sporting a forest green top with delicate embroidery at the bottom. It looked familiar, but she didn't recall ever buying or receiving it. 'I didn't know I even had this top, let alone brought it with me!' she said. 'Well, um, that's probably because you haven't brought it with you. I have. I saw you looking at it a few days before Zay came to us with his Hawaii-plan and I was waiting for the right time to give it to you.' That explained why Maya thought she'd seen it before. 'Riles! I can't believe you did that for me!' She hugged her friend. 'You didn't need to do that.' 'No', Riley agreed, 'But I wanted to. And by the way, you deserve it.' Maya offered her a grateful smile. Then, somebody entered the room. It was Josh. 'Hey, Riley, Maya, you ready for the date?' he asked, when he suddenly held his breath. He looked at Maya, who was smiling shyly at him. 'You, um, I... Um, yeah, so, um, I'm going to wait downstairs, okay?' He turned around and walked away a little too fast and crashed into the door, which was half open, half closed. It was just like Cory's action from before. 'Some brothers really are alike', Maya said and she and Riley burst into laughter.

Hey everybody! I hope you liked the new chapter. Next up is the double date :) Here's a shout-out to the amazing stylist Auggie-Doggie Matthews!Thank you all so much for reading and a special thank you to those who have voted on the previous chapters! :D I wish you all a great day!

Love,