Girl Meets a Very Merry Christmas

Maya was standing on her room's balcony enjoying the view. Josh was next to her. They were quiet at first, just thinking and looking at the ocean in the distance. Maya broke the silence after a while. 'Josh, I haven't really asked you, but...' She stopped mid-sentence, not sure what she should say. 'But?' Josh asked. He looked into her sparkly blue eyes. He could drown in those eyes. 'You remember the one Christmas that we celebrated together... With Riley's family and your parents?' Josh nodded. 'Yeah, of course I do', he said in a way that screamed how could I possibly forget about that?  'About that', Maya began. 'Did you have feelings for me back then? That question has been in my mind a lot lately.' Josh thought back about that day.

24th of December, 2014, Christmas Eve...

The Matthews family had decided to gather for the Holidays. Riley, her parents, and Auggie had invited some people over. First to arrive was Maya. She wasn't really used to parties for the holidays and was excited to spend Christmas Eve at Riley's. Of course she was upset she couldn't celebrate with her mother, who had to work, but it was way better than to sit in her room, all by herself, and think about what she had done to deserve this loneliness and misery. She was just wondering about which people would be coming too when it happened. The door swung open, revealing a couple. Cory's parents, Riley's grandparents. Surprisingly, Cory didn't seem all too enthusiastic. Apparently, he'd been hoping for some other guy to show up. Shawn or something like that. Cory's father was just saying something about it being a long time since he had kids around when a boy entered the room. He was handsome with his dark brown hair and his blue eyes. His name was Josh. 'Yeah, just this morning, wasn't it, Dad?' the boy - Josh - said as he tossed a pair of keys to his father. He looked into the room. His eyes immediately fell on the girl sitting next to Riley. She had beautiful wavy blonde hair. It took him a lot of strength to avert his gaze from her and saw Auggie, his nephew, running toward him while screaming 'Joshie!' He walked to the little boy, picked him up from the ground and put him on his shoulders. He was glad to see his nephew again. 'I love it up here!' Auggie exclaimed cheerfully, which made Josh smile. With Auggie still on his shoulders, he turned to Cory. 'My brother', he said. 'My brother!' Cory replied. 'How's it possible we're brothers?' he asked, while giving Josh a fist bump. 'Because it's a SURPRISE!' Josh said, turning around to face his father when he said the last word. 'Stop doing that!' Josh gave his father a pat on his back. 'Ah, Dad's so proud of himself', he said. 'He gets in the movies for, like, a quarter.' Cory laughed. Josh put Auggie down on a nearby couch and then walked over to greet his niece. The beautiful girl he recognized as Riley's friend Maya was still there. Riley stood up from the bench she was sitting on and spread her arms. 'Uncle Josh', she said, while pulling him in for a hug. 'Riley', he said, smiling. When they let go, the other girl approached him, also putting her arms around him. 'Uncle Josh!' she exclaimed. 'I'm not your uncle, Maya', Josh said to the girl. 'Even better', she said, while hugging him more tightly. He felt awkward and didn't know what to do. Should I hug her back or not?  he asked himself. Maybe she'll think that's weird. Wait, no, how could that be weird? She was the one hugging him. ' Before he could do anything, Riley pulled Maya away from him, giving Josh an apologetic smile. 'Um...' Riley didn't know what to say next. Josh was desperately trying to think of something to say to Maya. 'It's been a while', he said. 'Sure has', Maya replied. Josh smoothed his hair with his hand. 'Well, you grew up gorgeous', he said and after those words he walked away. Oh good God, what have I done? Out of everything I could've said I just went out there and called her gorgeous! Stupid, stupid, stupid!  He walked over to Topanga and greeted her. 'Can I help you with that?' he asked her, pointing at the pan she was stirring in. 'No, I'm fine, but thank you.' Josh started to walk away, but Topanga said, 'Actually, Josh, could you give me a hand with the plates?' She gave him a stack of plates and told him to put them down on the table. By the time the table was set, Shawn had arrived. He, Cory, Riley and Maya went upstairs for a little bit. 'Topanga, is it okay if I take Auggie outside until dinner is ready?' Josh asked. Auggie had been sitting alone on the couch for a while already and he felt like it was his duty to give the kid some company. Besides, he liked playing with his nephew. 'Hmm, I don't know. It's getting pretty dark outside.' She thought a few moments, making up a list of pros and cons in her head. 'We won't go far', Josh said. 'And I'll take good care of him', he promised. 'Okay. Be back here at eight', Topanga said. 'Have fun!' 'Will do.' Josh joined Auggie on the couch. 'Hey, little fellow. Feel like a snowball fight?' Auggie nodded and they stood up from the couch. 'Bye, Mommie!' 'Bye, Topanga!' 'Bye, sweethearts. See you in a few!'

Josh and Auggie returned to the Matthews' home at eight, just like Topanga had told them to. The whole room smelled great from the food. Everyone sat down at the table and enjoyed the lovely meal. Afterwards, everyone split their own ways until it was time for the presents. Riley, Topanga and Amy Matthews, Cory and Josh's mother, were doing the dishes. Auggie was playing with one of his stuffed animals. Cory and Shawn were sitting on the couch, talking, because they ''had a lot of catching up to do, which gave them no time to help Topanga with the dishes''. And Alan Matthews, Cory and Josh's father, was watching some TV. Josh remembered the building had a rooftop from which you could see the New York skyline. He went there and when he got to the rooftop, he saw...

'Maya, is that you?' he asked, as he approached the figure standing near the rooftop's edge. The figure turned around. 'Yes', she said, 'It's me.' Josh was now standing next to her. He could see her cheeks turned pink from the cold and her lips were slightly tinted purple. 'You cold?' he asked. Maya had a coat on, but it was freezing outside, and the fact that they were standing on top of a large building didn't really help. She nodded. Josh started to take off his own coat. 'Wha- What are you doing?!' Maya exclaimed. 'You'll freeze!' 'I won't', Josh said. In his mind, he doubted that. When he tried to put the coat around Maya, she gave him a light smack on his hand. 'Put your coat back on!' Maya tried to sound serious, but she couldn't stop herself from laughing. 'You're crazy', she said. Josh chuckled. 'Last time I checked you were pretty wild yourself.' 'Me?' Maya said innocently. 'I couldn't possibly understand what you're talking about.' Josh laughed. Maya felt a warm feeling spread through her body. It kind of made up for the cold. They stood there, looking at the big city, and talked. After a while, Josh looked at his watch. 'I think we should go back. It's almost present-time.' 'Yeah, we probably should.' They looked into each others eyes. Josh bit his lip. What now?  he asked himself. What do I do? Do I kiss her?  He was definitely considering it. He then cleared his throat. 'Um... We shouldn't keep Auggie waiting. This is his favorite part of the evening.' Maya blinked. 'Yeah, um, we should go', she said, nodding. Wow. That was weird, she thought. It was almost like... Never mind, it's not like that would ever happen. They took off to the apartment and joined the family around the Christmas tree. Josh often found himself looking at Maya and their eyes always met. They smiled at each other, but they didn't talk anymore that evening.

Back in the present time...

'Yeah', Josh said, realizing it himself. 'I did.'

Hello everybody! Here's the new Girl Meets Hawaii-chapter :D  I hope you liked it. As you read, it's a Joshaya one and the flashback took place during 'Girl Meets Home for the Holidays'. That episode was the beginning of Joshaya, so I felt like it was only normal for me to write about that one :) By the way, in the beginning of this story, Josh didn't know Maya liked him. The things that happened in the Tell-Tale-Tot episode have never happened, I just wanted to make that clear. Thank you so much for reading :) And as usual, a special thank-you for those who have voted on previous chapters, your support really means a lot to me!! As you know, the next two weeks I won't be able to update, I'm sorry :( I hope you all have a lovely time, thanks again for reading and until next update!

Love,